Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G broken back housing

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default 3G broken back housing
    I need to replace the back housing on my 3G 16gb Iphone. The vibe button broke off and the housing is cracked. The phone will only vibrate now and not ring so it needs to be fixed. What I'm wondering though is where's the best place to buy an exact OEM housing or better yet the whole back assembly? I see lots of stores on ebay selling what looks like china knock off's or are they actually good parts?

Wessy

Thanks

eBay just asks questions before you buy like if they are infact OEM products..

Green Apple
    Thanks

So does anyone have experience using one of those complete housing assemblies that are not OEM? They are OEM "quality". I don't want to buy one and find out the speaker is junk, the battery doesn't last or doesn't get as good as reception as factory.

Thanks,

Wessy

oem assembles means oem housing and batteries, but other parts refurbished like new. most work but some with problem from charging port assembly. So it's better take your phone to repair men, just change speaker and housing ( oem works also)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think I'll take my chances with a complete assembly. The water indicator on the charging port shows red for some reason. Hasn't been water damaged. I"ll swap out the case assembly and if something doesn't work right I can take the part out of my old assembly for repair.

Thanks,

Wessy

I've bought China parts, they fit nicely, but they're usually not as strong. Def try looking for OEM.

Helped? Click the THANKS button.
    It's only impossible if you quit.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Micara57 For This Useful Post:

Wessy (04-26-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Not sure what I'm going to do just yet. Seems like a used junker Iphone is going to cost way more than buying a complete new back assembly from China.

I have another question. I fixed the cracked housing with some epoxy but I had to glue the mute button in the muted position. Now of course it will only vibrate. Is there another way to make the phone ring with another setting or program from Cydia? The phone works great otherwise so I would just leave it alone if there was another way to make it ring.

Thanks,

Wessy
    Last edited by Wessy; 04-27-2010 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm not aware of any programs, no.
    It's only impossible if you quit.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't think there is one either. It must be the ribbon that is bad now. The good news is I just purchased a complete back case assembly from a Canada supplier that I'll try out. Hopefully that will be the end of it.
    Thanks for your replies,

Wessy

Thanks

I was going to PM you about a supplier here for you but wasnt sure if you would have wanted to order from Canada..He's got pretty much everything & I just got a OEM glass/digitizer from him for a 3gs for $30

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cid6.7 For This Useful Post:

Wessy (04-27-2010)

Tip:

If you're under warranty, and there is a crack in your phone or a broken vibrate button, take it to the Apple Store. It is considered a defect.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to shadow25 For This Useful Post:

Wessy (04-30-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

The phone is out of the warranty period. Thanks though. I should get the new back assembly today or tomorrow so will see how it works after I get it back together.

Wessy

Would you mind posting the name and contact information for the parts supplier in Canada you guys are talking about here?

I need to replace the lcd screen on my 3g and have been looking for a place with reasonable prices and located somewhere where I know and understand blah, blah, blah... commerce laws... blah, blah, blah...

Thanks in advance.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well I have the new assembly. The outer housing looks pretty good but the chrome bezel was not good. it was defomed at one of the corners. the power button was cheap too and wouldn't work right. There was a screw missing that holds the headphone jack in. the little chrome ring that is pressed in the housing was screwed up. I assembled everything and it worked but the screen didn't fit right because of the bezel not the right shape. The power button would randomly shut off the phone or just turn off the screen. So I'm sending it back and asked for a refund or a better replacement. I put mine back together and it works good enough. I probably won't go this route again if I break another one. I'll buy a used one for parts that is all OEM.

Wessy

iPhone? More like MyPhone Brandonii's Avatar
    Thanks

i bought one from china, the exact same thing happened to me.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If it weren't for the bezel and power button problems it would have been fine. The sound quality was good and wifi worked. I was told to send it back and they will provide a refund after they refund it. I'm fairly confident they will. For now I will settle for a phone with only vibrate until the next iPhone is released.

Wessy

Ooh.. Thats the craps man! Now its out there that was my fear of ordering from China but even got crap more locally eh? Thats definitely disturbing to say the least. Now I'm scared to to order parts from any store period.
    Thank you everyone for this post.
    I guess I'm just going to have to keep my eyes and ears open for a parts phone.
    Damn

The bezel i got was bend in wrong angel, not 90 degree.

if youre still looking for a program instead of the vibrate switch, download sbsettings and then you can download a vibrate toggle. works great from cydia

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have sbsettings. What program is it that will let me change to a ringer. Right now it is stuck on vibrate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast