+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS won't hold charge, main logic board? Batt connection?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello all, Phone: iPhone 3GS, 32GB, unlocked and jail-broken. Possible cause of the problem: I've dropped the phone a few times. Although it has a good case "incase," brand I'm
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3GS won't hold charge, main logic board? Batt connection?
    Hello all,

Phone: iPhone 3GS, 32GB, unlocked and jail-broken.

Possible cause of the problem: I've dropped the phone a few times. Although it has a good case "incase," brand I'm sure the impact has given it a good rattle inside. Or perhaps could it be the charger itself that made the phone tweak out?

Problem: I charge my phone every night before I sleep. When I woke up this morning the screen (black) had the big battery icon outline with a little strip of RED of battery and on the bottom of that the lightening bolt.

While off the charger: I couldn't turn on the phone at all with the power button. Holding the power button + HOME button didn't do anything.

While on the charger: It would display that screen again with the battery and small strip of red + small lightening bold on the bottom. Power button, nothing. Power + HOME button's, the screen would turn black then go right back to the same Batt + Small Red Srip + Lightening bolt screen.

The only way I've been able to turn it on: Once on the charger, if I unplug it and press Power button, it would sometimes turn on / boot up. However, if I keep it off the charger it would die and turn off at any given time. It'll just shut off again. So the only way I've been able to reboot it is only after I plug in the charger, unplug the charger and press the power button.

The only way I've been able to keep it on is if it's plugged in constantly to a charger.

Should I...?
    I just backed up my iPhone on iTunes (luckily!) and was planning to restore and reunlock it to start from scratch. However, if this is a hardware issue, it wouldn't do the problem much justice. If it's a software issue, it might help to redo it all again...?

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by iunlock; 04-25-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: ADDED PICTURE
    iPhone 3GS 32GB
    version 3.0

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

This is going to sound strange but I have done this before however will not take responsibility if it results in damage to your device.

Turn your phone completely off & stick it in your freezer for 15 minutes. I did this with my old 3G and was able to regain the normal day to day charges I was getting upon the purchase date. I hate to do the same you you are doing now until I read a tutorial on it. Goodluck!
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    This is going to sound strange but I have done this before however will not take responsibility if it results in damage to your device.

Turn your phone completely off & stick it in your freezer for 15 minutes. I did this with my old 3G and was able to regain the normal day to day charges I was getting upon the purchase date. I hate to do the same you you are doing now until I read a tutorial on it. Goodluck!
    Hmmm interesting...Do you have a source for this info? Thanks!

Anyone?
    Last edited by iunlock; 04-24-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

UPDATE: Now the phone doesn't even want to turn on. If it's plugged in, it only shows the RED strip:

If I unplug it from the charger, the RED strip flashes and it shuts off;

Please help. Anyone?

UPDATE: FIXED! It's amazing how UN-supportive this forum is. A good fellow Zinjen was the only one to reply.

But anyway, I changed the battery and everything is now PERFECT.

So if anyone ever encounters this problem, I hope this helps them.

Feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by iunlock; 04-26-2010 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    iPhone 3GS 32GB
    version 3.0

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ah, glad to hear you fixed it. I thought it could've been the actual charger as well, because that happened to me. :/

But a simple battery replacement isn't difficult. Glad to hear you fixed it.
    It's only impossible if you quit.