Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does this mean I need a new digitizer?

Default Does this mean I need a new digitizer?
    Phone: iphone 3g 8gb stock-not JB

A portion of the screen stopped working. The area is the bottom row of icons area. But the docked icons (ipod, mail, phone, safari) still work. She's claiming she has to press multiple times for things to work sometimes. She said it's slowly been getting worse and just a couple days ago is when the bottom row stopped working.

****I searched and all I found was "do a factory restore" ****

Thanks

Try a restore 1st but Im thinkin new digitizer for sure..

Yeah you need a new digitizer, restoring it doesnt mean its going to fix the physical aspects of the phone.

<3

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WTFDANG <3 View Post
    Yeah you need a new digitizer, restoring it doesnt mean its going to fix the physical aspects of the phone.

<3
    Actually software can/and has been known to...cause issues with the touch functionality on the phone, obviously since its the software that controls that.

However, if a restore doesnt fix the issue it is obviously a hardware/digitizer problem.

9 bucks on ebay , thats nothing i just ordered a 3GS screen for 9 and a camera for the 3GS
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Yeah, trying a restore would always be best, also make sure the phone doesnt have any moisture on it, as that often causes issues with the digitizer.

Otherwise you need a new digitizer, they're pretty simple to install and numerous guides on YouTube.

Helped? Click the THANKS button.
    It's only impossible if you quit.

Thanks

Default Same problem...
    But actually, mine seems to be working again...does this indicate hardware malf? bad connection or something....these posts are same prob too:
    Is it teh digitizer or not?
    Part Of iPhone 2g Screen Not Working ... Sometimes ...
    2G dead line on screen
    Rules one and two ALWAYS in effect.

Put the new digitizer in from Ebay. Didn't work immediately so I took it back apart and reseated the ribbon cable into the motherboard. Put it back together and booted it up. After about 2 min the screen started working again like new. Even responded faster. Now if I could only get it to stop dropping 50% of the calls, I'd be in heaven. Guess the only cure for that is Verizon though. Thanks for the help guys.