Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Contacts Backup, With a twist.

Default Contacts Backup, With a twist.
    Hi Guys,

Basically, my iPhone lost all its contacts. Now I update on a regular basis, and this creates backups, therefore, I went to iTunes, and did Restore from Backup. This didn't work. I tried several times, without success, so I need your help, I need these contacts back!!!

Ive been to the folder /AppData/.... etc, due to reading another post on this forum, and so I have a few questions, which my help, may not.

In the backup folder there are two files, one for iPod and one for my iPhone (or so I belive). If I go into my iPhone folder, there are several Backup files (called MDBACKUP File), some of these havnt been edited since 2007. Some have been edited an hour ago.

My question is, does the phone need all of these files? Or are they different back up dates? i.e, can I take one from say 2 weeks ago, load that on the phone and hey presto, I have my contacts back?

If not, does anyone have any smart idea on how to get my contacts back?

Thanks in advance!

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vibralux View Post
    Hi Guys,

Basically, my iPhone lost all its contacts. Now I update on a regular basis, and this creates backups, therefore, I went to iTunes, and did Restore from Backup. This didn't work. I tried several times, without success, so I need your help, I need these contacts back!!!

Ive been to the folder /AppData/.... etc, due to reading another post on this forum, and so I have a few questions, which my help, may not.

In the backup folder there are two files, one for iPod and one for my iPhone (or so I belive). If I go into my iPhone folder, there are several Backup files (called MDBACKUP File), some of these havnt been edited since 2007. Some have been edited an hour ago.

My question is, does the phone need all of these files? Or are they different back up dates? i.e, can I take one from say 2 weeks ago, load that on the phone and hey presto, I have my contacts back?

If not, does anyone have any smart idea on how to get my contacts back?

Thanks in advance!
    That's how I understood it.
    I'm on a mac so I'm not sure if this will work for you.
    If I right-click my iPhone in iTunes and select Restore from backup, a pop-up with a drop down menu lets me select from a list of backups dating back to January.

The one with the check-mark next to it and no time-stamp is the most recent.
    Last edited by dale2; 04-16-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: clarification

There is only the one backup available. However, If I go the folder, there are several sets of files, each with different time stamps.

Could I somehow, take these files and manually back up rather than use iTunes, or make iTunes use these files instead?

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

Try moving the most recent one out of the folder. then use itunes to backup the now "most recent" one
    i have had success with that when experimenting as not all of mine are listed either. you can see a months worth the syncs missing on my list from 3/16 to today, most of them are probably ignored since my last factory restore