+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Am I being paranoid about battery life?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I don't think I am, as it is draining quite quickly as per my other thread. But to get some idea of how fast other people's battery drains, I'll ask
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Am I being paranoid about battery life?
    I don't think I am, as it is draining quite quickly as per my other thread. But to get some idea of how fast other people's battery drains, I'll ask a question to the forum.

If you are using your phone actively (e.g. surfing the web, and another app running in background - for example Grooveshark or even just iPod), how much battery life do you get?

10 minutes per 1% drainage?
    5 minutes?
    3 minutes?
    1 minute?

Just want to make sure I'm not going bonkers before I replace a battery. I am getting about 2-3 minutes per 1% of battery life on a good day.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

You cant compare with someone elses phone because it depends on what is running, etc, etc, etc, and that also includes processes running in the background.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sure you can. I said with one process running the background and active surfing of the internet. Trust me, if someone else is getting 10 minutes per 1% and I am getting 2 minutes, it's a hardware issue. I mean using common sense. Don't post your battery drainage speed when you are running 7 highly RAM-intensive apps all at once for some reason.

My phone drains at 1% per 2-3 minutes of use even when it was not jailbroken and only surfing web. No background processes except default (phone, mail, maybe ipod on standby).

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

First off, you have to know what processes are actually running in the background (and I can tell you, you wont for sure) and what does actively surfing the web mean??? Come on, thats not even close to usable as a comparison, if your loading an image intensive page vs. pages with no images its completely different and your idea of actively may be completely different than someone elses.

So, use common sense yourself......the phone should last the better part or all of a day being used throughout the day.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okay.

No processes in background (again, except default phone, mail, ipod standby). Unjailbroken. Can't get much clearer than that. 3.1.2 3GS.

Is it normal to have 3-5 hours of battery life with constant surfing? I can't tell you how many images per page it is, but assume average pages. As in, not 100% hi-res pictures and not all .txt files. Is this normal?

Thanks

Look at something like iStat.
    There are tons of Daemons and other hidden background process that run in the back... How do you think your iPhone works if those three things are the only things running?
    Remember Wifi and Bluetooth are a factor, have Auto brightness, Screen brightness. Lots of things.
    With my recently replaced iPhone 3G battery I get a Like 5 hours of usage and a day of standby.
    iPhone 4, Yellow Custom Glass, 32GB, 4.3.3, non-working home button. And a prototype iPhone 4 White.
    Main Computer:MacBook Unibody Plastic, 2.26GHZ, 4GB RAM, 250x2GB, Red glowing Apple.
    Water Damaged iPhone? Don't throw it away; iPhone Motherboard washing tutorial!!! (PM me I will do it for you)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How does iStat improve on sbSettings' "free memory" and processes? It doesn't actually list daemons running does it?

Thanks

your just dodging everyones help here lol
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Talk time:
    Up to 12 hours on 2G
    Up to 5 hours on 3G
    Standby time: Up to 300 hours

Internet use:
    Up to 5 hours on 3G
    Up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi
    Apple - iPhone - Technical Specifications

So it is not to bad. Because mix web browsing in with talk and you got regular times.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    Apple - iPhone - Technical Specifications

So it is not to bad. Because mix web browsing in with talk and you got regular times.
    Thank you, this is much more helpful.