+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "No Service" After being underground or in classroom?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So.. this is my dilemma I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem. This is happening to my dad's iphone (3gs 16gb black 3.1.3 NOT JAILBROKEN OR ANYTHING)
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Default "No Service" After being underground or in classroom?
    So.. this is my dilemma I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

This is happening to my dad's iphone (3gs 16gb black 3.1.3 NOT JAILBROKEN OR ANYTHING) and to my phone (3gs 32gb black jailbroken 3.1.2) I'm no noob at this i've been doing this since the website first opened back when I had my iphone 1g with a pathetic 4gb. Wow have stuff changed in a matter of years but back to my problem.

So after being in a classroom or underground where there is no service i come out and my phone will not connect back to the rogers. I've called rogers about 5 times about this. And well you know how it talking to these phone companies. It's a disaster because they are not trained and have no idea what to do so they jus say go to settings -> general -> reset ->reset network settings. So they said if it happens again they will replace both of our phones. I'd rather keep my phone because i wont be able to jailbreak it w/o the tether.

But I feel like this is totally unacceptable especially since my dad's phone i'snt jailbroken and we live in the city not in bum fu** nowhere land. and we pay over $120 a month for a plan and this is what we get. When my dad was with bell he had not one problem but ever since he switched to rogers its been just horrible. I feel bad because I told my dad the iphone would be better he's only had problems with it. And its his business phone so when he has no service who knows how many important calls he missing which he cannot have. Any ideas???

***One more thing.. anyone out there with rogers and your paying for Name display W/ Call display call rogers and ask them why they are false advertising because the iphone doesn't have name display capability and you pay like and extra $3 a month for name display if you have call display. i bet you didn't know that.***

Any help is help. Thanks in advance!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

1. Name display works fine on mine...

2. I'm pretty sure the reason this happens is power saving. It has nothing to do with Rogers and everything to do with Apple. If you wanted the phone to keep looking from the time you lost service until the time it regained, your battery would be depleted. Scanning for the network is hard on battery life. Best way to deal with it I've found is to just go into settings and flick airplane mode on and off.

I've complained about this before with Apple. You should give them a call too. More complaints the more likely they are too fix it.

I know it wouldn't be that difficult to code the OS so when its displaying "No Service" you can tap that part of the menu bar and cause it to rescan. Why the hell they don't just do this is beyond me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey thanks for the advice..
    but if i paid $399 for my phone n $120 a month i dont feel i should have to do anything for my phone to work.

Name display cannot work. it doesn't come with iphone the tech even told me so. What you have is people already programmed into your phone which is call display and the iphone fills in the rest. Name display, displays there name even when they are not in your phone. Which is an extra service.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nope. The Name just doesn't show up when its ringing, it shows in the menu though. And it's not contacts. I know how my phone works haha. I hear you with the cost and stuff. Just call apple and tell them to sort **** out. I agree 100%.