+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to diagnose an iphone issue? Experts?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
All, I recently dropped my 3GS phone without a case. The screen is badly cracked (not an issue as the digitizer and everything works fine, it just looks ugly). I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How to diagnose an iphone issue? Experts?
    All,

I recently dropped my 3GS phone without a case. The screen is badly cracked (not an issue as the digitizer and everything works fine, it just looks ugly). I mean it is bad enough where I believe there might be internal structural damage or something.

On top of that, recently the battery has been draining faster. If I use the phone actively (games and/or internet usage), it drains at about 1% per minute or a little slower than that. It is not horrid but significantly less battery life than before the drop. It also gets quite hot at times.

I was jailbroken, so to make sure that was not the issue I restored to 3.1.2, but the issue did not go away. The battery was draining as quickly as it was pre-restore. I have also tried the "drain it fully" and then recharge method, to no result. Even during my non-JB trial phase recently, with Push off, Wifi off, brightness low, etc. the battery drained just as fast.

Now, before I just blindly get a battery replaced, I am wondering how to figure out what could be causing the battery drain. I am not a hardware pro and would not want to mess things up. But I also do not want to get fleeced by some local repair shop that may not know what they are doing.

Is there a reputable source to discuss the issue with and/or send the phone to? I also live in NYC so there may be a reputable bricks & mortar repair shop somewhere in the area. My question is - what are the possible things (aside from busted battery) that could be causing the battery drain? And who is a good source to go to for diagnosis and/or repair?

I hope this thread can be used to help other hardware-unsavvy iPhone users debug their problems in the future. Thank you.
    Last edited by Phone9000; 04-08-2010 at 01:34 AM.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Most likely its the battery, however the only way to began to tell is to replace it first. If its not the battery there is a short on the mainboard from the drop and that is most likely not going to be tracable.

I can swap the battery for you if you wish. PM me.