Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G wifi module dead

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default iPhone 3G wifi module dead
    Hi,

Does anyone know of a tutorial/guide that will show me how to replace my iPhone wifi module. (see my previous thread if you were wondering what the problem is). I have found this part on eBay:
    WIFI CONNECTOR REPLACEMENT PART FOR IPHONE 3G 3GS. UK - eBay, Other Mobile Phone Accessories, Mobile Phone Accessories, Mobile Home Phones. (end time 15-Apr-10 00:30:54 AEST)

but the seller cannot provide my with a tutorial for the part. Do you think the part is legit? And do you know where the module is located in the iPhone 3G or how to replace the part?

Thanks a lot!
    Adam

Thanks

Looks like it is attached to the Outer Case. Try iFixit.
    iPhone 4, Yellow Custom Glass, 32GB, 4.3.3, non-working home button. And a prototype iPhone 4 White.
    Main Computer:MacBook Unibody Plastic, 2.26GHZ, 4GB RAM, 250x2GB, Red glowing Apple.
    Water Damaged iPhone? Don't throw it away; iPhone Motherboard washing tutorial!!! (PM me I will do it for you)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I tried iFixit . It's alright, I have given it to a repair store for $120

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shmootz View Post
    I tried iFixit . It's alright, I have given it to a repair store for $120
    NOOOOOO!!! I was going to tell you how to do it
    BTW this is only the "wifi antenna" the chip itself is on the logic board so if they replace that then $120 might be a semi-reasonable price.
    Let me know the outcome of the repair please as I too have a 3g that cannot detect wifi and I've ordered the antenna to replace myself.
    I'm curious to know what exactly the repair shop does so get as much info from them about the repair as you can!!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by BeufordRULES; 04-05-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Additional info

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Sure thing . So you think they will try the antenna first and then replace the logic board if it does not work?

Thanks,
    Adam

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shmootz View Post
    Sure thing . So you think they will try the antenna first and then replace the logic board if it does not work?

Thanks,
    Adam
    That would be my guess but from what I've found the logic board usually costs more than $120.. Hopefully they just replace the antenna and don't charge you the full $120 cause it's like a $10 part and is fairly easy to replace
    Also, iFixit does have a tutorial on it but they call it the "GPS antenna"

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I hope so too. But if they do only replace the antenna and not the logic board, if it works, I'm happy (here in Australia I only get 150mb per month in bandwidth).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Any news yet? I'm so ANXIOUS to know!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Yup, just heard from them now. They explained to me what you did above. They told me that they replaced the antenna and it still doesn't work.They said the logic board needs replacing for $330... not a chance I'm paying that much .

So I am picking it up today. Let's hope they give me my $50 deposit back .

How much do you think I would get for my 16gb 3G unlocked and jailbroken without wifi on eBay?

Thanks,
    Adam

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I paid $150 for mine in this condition.. Starting to think i overpaid haha.. Sorry to hear about your phone, ill let you know how mine goes but i bet i get the same result

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Are you repairing it yourself or taking it to a store?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm gonna do the antenna myself but that's about the extent of my ability.. Anything logic board related just ain't gonna happen haha.. I'll just probably end up trying to get what I paid for it if the antenna doesn't do it

Well I got my new antenna today.. Replaced it smacked the phone back together and still nothing.. so depressing, I guess it has to be the chip.
    I've seen the chip for sale on some sites for around $50-$60 but as far as replacing it I'm sure that would have to be done by someone with a ton of experience on these little micro boards.
    So I bought the phone for $150 then my $10 antenna so my only hope now is to slap it on craigslist and hope someone who has the ability to repair it or wants it for parts will give me what i paid.
    If it had worked i was planning to make a youtube video on how to replace it since there isn't one, but now I'm just too depressed haha.
    Last edited by BeufordRULES; 04-08-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Let me know how much it sells for please! I picked my phone up from the repair shop, and although they told me that they couldn't get the wifi working (without a $280 logic board replacement), when I turned it on, it started picking up wifi. HOWEVER, it still won't connect. I click on my wifi, type in the password, and it has a check mark for a second, then disconnects. Kinda dissapointing. Maybe there is a solution to my 'improved' problem?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've seen something about that before but not sure where.. Maybe try a restore now and see what happens

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I would *really* prefer not to have to restore again, as my phone is jailbroken and unlocked, it was quite difficult for me to get ultrasn0w unlock without wifi and data.

Default Crappy Wifi
    I'm having the same issue too! My wifi has been working for 9 months and then it just stopped. It sometimes works when I take off the WEP on my home wifi, but other than that I doesnt connect ever! I've restored my phone 3 times already. I took it to the Apple store and they said they couldnt check it out unless I restored it to 3.1.3 at the store, I obviously said no thanks. I'll keep you posted on any new updates.

iPhone 3G on 3.1.2 Jailbroken by BlackRa1n, unlock by Sn0w