Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G Proximity Repair

Default iPhone 3G Proximity Repair
    Ok,

So I broke my proximity sensor and ordered a replacement. I'll be damned if I can figure out a way into that little metal bit at the top of the digitizer though, any suggestions for how to do it? There appears to be nothing online except for one youtube video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-wjCFGW4Qk]YouTube - How to repair the iPhone 3G Proximity Sensor Cable[/ame] He appears to really crank on it though, and I'm not too comfortable with that. When I started to try I just bent the metal out of shape. Any help? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Well, I mean the only thing you'll end up damaging if you put some force is the already broken proximity flex cable right?

No, I've already scratched some of the black off the front glass trying to do it, so there's this weird squiggle that light gets through right under the ear piece. And the thing I'm worried about breaking is the metal housing for the proximity flex. I know there's a ton of repair people on here, has nobody done this before?

Has nobody honestly done this before? Bueller?

Thanks

It's not that nobody has done this before, I think it's just that nobody has had trouble removing it. You must just be lucky

Yea, whoever made my phone used alot of glue. I spent a good 30 minutes getting the bezel off when I changed my back. It was stuck on there good.

OK,

Thought I'd post a follow up. Got my proximity sensor the other day and installed it. I tried the angles in the video above, tried going at it from the bottom. I found the best way to get that metal to pop off though is from the top right of it. Not the top right that's just flat metal on the digitizer, the metal part that is still on its little pedestal. Everything works like a charm now. Only issue is that I forgot to replace my ear speaker mesh while I was in there, but there's no way I'm risking breaking that goddamn cable again just to have shiny new mesh.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

All you have to do is place a very small flat-head screwdriver in the bottom of that clip angling the screwdriver from left side of the earpice and pull downward to unclip it from the screen housing. Can be popped out in like 3 seconds.

EDIT: I see its done now.

Thanks

I bet when you found the
    little mesh piece you were bummin'
    maybe you can trim it down and shove it in from the front.
    Of course, then it might fall out and into your ear, and then get lodged in your brain, then you'll die. Better not do it

No, no. I bought some new mesh. There's still one in there, its just grimey. I don't care enough about that to take it all apart again though.

Thanks

Oh, well then your safe. Phew, that was a close one