+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pulling out digitizer after replacing glass....

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi There, I recently replaced my glass and digitizer myself, using the double sided tape to adhere the glass to the digitizer,. Upon closing the phone back up, it would
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Pulling out digitizer after replacing glass....
    Hi There, I recently replaced my glass and digitizer myself, using the double sided tape to adhere the glass to the digitizer,.

Upon closing the phone back up, it would not turn on. I believe I may have missed one of the connections when closing the phone up... Do those things snap on? It seemed very odd that they just barely rested on them...

Anyway, when you suction up the glass screen off the phone, it usually comes with the digitizer, as it is attatched with industrial strength glue, however, now that I replaced it with double sided tape, when i suction cup, only the glass screen comes off, (with the wires connected at the top of the phone) leaving me at a terrible angle to either try to pry it out with one of the tools, or anything else.

Should i consider the phone scrapped? Is there any way to get back in there? Any help GREATLY appreciated.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Dude glue and double sided tape srsly? Y U JUST DIDNT BUY ADHESIVE FOR 30 cents? anyways, yea yo cable are not connected. Check it by vibro switch. So u gotta take it appart and make sure u connected them properly.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

The digitizer should not be pulling away from the glass...so I dont know what you did.

I haz a number
    Thanks

I may have this all wrong. But if you are repairing a 3g or 3gs then it sounds like the front glass (with digitizer) came loose from the black plastic midboard frame.

If this is what is happening you need to devise a tool to pull the midboard frame carefully up and out. You need to be very careful of the now exposed LCD.

If you do not care about possibly damaging the midboard frame rubber gasket, then you can insert a thin opening tool between the bezel and the midboard frame and carefully pry the midboard frame up. (This is what we try to avoid, and thus use the suction cup method)

Good luck.

Thanks

"The digitizer should not be pulling away from the glass...so I dont know what you did."

"Hi There, I recently replaced my glass and digitizer myself, using the double sided tape to adhere the glass to the digitizer,. "

asked-answered

Thanks

if ur doing this on a 3G, just buy a new digitizer that comes with the glass for 30 bucks...now if ur doing this on a 2G , then thats different.... pulling it out might just damage the digitizer which i recommend not to do..
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for all the help so far guys. To answer some questions:

This is a 3G iPhone.
    I purchased the repair kit online, and it came with the 3m pre-cut adhesive (im assuming this was the right adhesive, as it came with the kit) I was just calling it double sided tape, because, well, it looks like double sided tape. :P

I dont mind dinging the phone, if it gets me back in there, so I guess I will try to pry the main board frame up, is there anything I need to be aware of when doing this? attached wires, ect...

Appreciate the assistance!