Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3G replacement

Question Iphone 3G replacement
    Hey guys/girls. Question. I bought my phone 3G once they came out and of the course the 90 day is out and I am having hardware issues. A few months ago I got a new glass put in from a store down the street. The glass looks good and now I am having lock up isses. I tried resetting phone and still locking up here and there. They hardware warrenty expires in May 2010.

I called Apple and they want to send me a replacement for $500 hold on my card. Once they get the old one back they will releace the hold. Does Apple look at the old phone and determine that I open the phone up and then charge me $500 for messing with the old phone?
    How does that work. I know the glass people did not do anything wrong, they have done a lot my friends glasses before.

Thanks all!

As far as I know (taking apart my older iphone) replacing the screen does not void the warranty, I believe there is a 'warranty void' sticker but it is on the logic board.

Hmmm... I have had this happen before and Apple wanted to do the same thing, however instead of giving them a Credit Card to hold the $500, I just used a different phone (old phone) and had them send me an empty box and I sent it in and about 3-4 days later I got a new iPhone in the mail with $0 charges. If they couldn't fix it for free they would simply just send it back to you with a reason why it couldn't be repaired for free, such as voided warrenty.
    If I helped you hit the "Thanks"!

Thanks

Yea, you'd probably be better off using an old phone for awhile and sending your iphone in to be fixed. That way, worst that will happen is they would send you it back without fixing it.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fmora176 View Post
    As far as I know (taking apart my older iphone) replacing the screen does not void the warranty, I believe there is a 'warranty void' sticker but it is on the logic board.
    Anytime you disassemble a piece of electronics, you void the warranty...obviously.

Yes, and if you mail the phone to apple, you will be billed $199 for an OOW replacement. If you do get a replacement, I would suggest keeping your repaired display and mailing back your old phone with the new display. This way you are not ripping off Apple.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME