+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dock connector partially broken after housing swap...

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi all, Well I managed to swap my cracked original back housing for my iPhone 3G out for a bright orange one I bought from eBay. The quality seems pretty
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Dock connector partially broken after housing swap...
    Hi all,

Well I managed to swap my cracked original back housing for my iPhone 3G out for a bright orange one I bought from eBay. The quality seems pretty nice and considering I had no idea quite how much work it was going to be (first time) I think I did OK.

... at least I thought I did until I realised the dock connector wasn't working. This seems really weird to me, because it works enough to turn the thing on when I connect something to it. It doesn't work enough to charge or sync the phone, however. What's more strange is that everything else coming out of assembly 4 works OK - home button, speaker, mic etc.

Does anyone have any ideas? I was really hoping not to have to buy a new phone until the new one comes out :/

I already tried restoring in DFU mode...

Thanks

Double check the #4 connector. If that doesn't work, I'd it were me, I would spend the $20 on a complete dock
    assembly before I gave up on the phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks! I was just looking at the dock assembly on eBay thinking I might give it a go... the #4 is very secure. So strange as it was working fine before and I was pretty careful.

Thanks

I'm convinced the flex cables just go at random sometimes. Plus when they so, you could lose any combination of connections, not necessarily an all or nothing type of thing. Keep in mind, I'm no pro, but I did see it done once on TV, plus I stayed at a holiday inn express last night, so take my advice at your own risk.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have the same issue, the phone does turn on when connected to a power source, but it doesn't do anything after that, no charge, no sync, noi recogmized by computer, etc... I did replace the complete charging dock and made no difference. let me know if you get it working

Thanks

That's the crappy part
    about flex cables. Even when you are really careful they can still break, and it's nearly impossible to tell just by looking at them.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

There are some VERY tiny resistors on the MAINBOARD right above where the dock connector plugs in.....if your not careful you can damage them and it will cause the phone to not sync, charge properly. It basically takes a magnifying glass to tell if they are ok or not.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm extremely curious to see what your phone looks like with this new orange backing..can you take a pic? pretty please?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well my replacement dock assembly came through today so I'll try replacing that but I have a feeling that like in your experience, dq13, it won't make a difference.

Resistors?! Augh, that sucks so hard. I hope I didn't damage them. I thought I was pretty careful with the main board. *Goes to look how much main board replacements are on eBay*.

I'll certainly take some photos once I've either fixed it or declared it broken beyond repair. Currently it still has the blue plastic protector stuck to it that it came with so it doesn't look great right now If I take it off before I'm done taking it apart it'll be sure to get scratched during the next repair session.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

c'mon lets see some pics

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

c'mon lets see some pics

I want to get a new, different colored housing but until then this is what my phone looks like:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dock connector partially broken after housing swap...-dscn6826.jpg  

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well like I said I'm not taking the blue protector off until I've finished work on it but here it is from the side.

Also, does anyone know of a way to do a hard factory restore without connecting to iTunes? Is that even possible?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well I tried swapping out the dock assembly for a new one but it's just the same - it still won't sync or show that it's charging. Also the vibrate function isn't working, something that I don't think I mentioned before. Any ideas on that one?

I guess it's as cpjr suggested and I've somehow managed to damage those resistors on the logic board. And looking on eBay new logic boards cost quite a lot.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I see it a lot with people prying off the #4 connector without experience handling electronics. Like CPJR said, if this little resistors are damaged, you are SOL
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^Yup. I have successfully fixed a mainboard before with this issue....but it is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY difficult and thats only cause I had a donor board.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

It is difficult, and is a major pain in the you know what. Thank god I have a company that we mail these logic boards into for that sort of repair.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

^shameless plug?

Lol, just kidding, as I'm sure I'll be sending my phone in someday since I can't seem to leave well enough alone