+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2G iPhone in reboot loop - not recognised by USB when in recovery mode

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Okay this my first post, but I tried lots of things before posting. If anyone has any insights I'd be grateful. I bought an extremely cheap used 2G off eBay
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 2G iPhone in reboot loop - not recognised by USB when in recovery mode
    Okay this my first post, but I tried lots of things before posting. If anyone has any insights I'd be grateful.

I bought an extremely cheap used 2G off eBay - the screen was cracked and the menu button supposedly didn't work, and it was described as 'not powering up'.

Anyway, when I got hold of it, it was stuck in the reboot loop (white Apple-restart etc. every couple of seconds - this is only when its plugged in; it doesn't start otherwise). Since I got it this morning I've managed to get it into recovery mode a couple of times (or at least the screen shows up), but when plugging into the computer it isn't recognised. I've tried iTunes on a Windoze XP at work and on my 10.6 Mac at home.
    I've also tried iRecovery and Diskaid on the Mac and neither pick up the fact that the phone is attached. Also, the Recovery Mode screen seems to be time-limited to about five minutes and then it reverts to the reboot loop.

Tantalisingly, during all these restarts, the phone has also started normally twice only to revert to the loop again after 30 secs (before it can be recognised).

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm happy to take the thing apart (I need to replace the screen anyway). I wondered whether unsoldering the battery might jumpstart it...

Thanks
    Chris

Thanks

My advice would be to plug in open itunes and hold the home and power button down for 30-60 seconds until you see the itunes logo and usb on the screen then it should be recognized and go from there installing a custom ipsw.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Update!
    Okay, now it gets weird.

The looping was due to a lack of power I think. The only way I found this out was because I put it in a Kensington iPod dock (which only charges older iPods) and discovered that it started charging. It hadn't been charging with the USB cables I have including an iPhone-specific charger (all of which are working with my iPod Touch in both wall sockets and the computer). I've since tried it with my old 3G iPod dock and it also charges in that.

So, the phone either:

1. Starts up normally (but the home button doesn't work). It tells me that the accessory (which isn't connected!) isn't suitable. Then, if I power down it immediately restarts without prompting and goes into an 'emergency' state ('connect to iTunes' picture with the SOS phone over the top of it, plus the unsuitable accessory warning).

2. Or if I reboot enough times I can get to the proper recovery mode screen, but I still can't seem to get the computer to see it in either mode (I tried iTunes, Blackra1n, INdependence and DiskAid).

Does anyone have ideas as to why it doesn't seem to be connecting to the more modern USB cables?

Thanks

Sorry u need to follow the method to wake ur computer. Relax.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes; I'd already googled extensively and tried your method before my first post. The trouble is that with an inoperative home button, that method probably isn't going to work.

Thanks

mquickdo is an app to reroute the broken home button to another working button.