+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 2G white apple of death

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello guys, Ive been searching all day for a fix to my problem. I'm not sure is this is the correct forum either, so forgive me if its not. I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Iphone 2G white apple of death
    Hello guys,

Ive been searching all day for a fix to my problem. I'm not sure is this is the correct forum either, so forgive me if its not.

I have a 2G Iphone I bought unlocked and jailbroken. It was working fine until yesterday after I installed a couple of apps (trillian, beejive, sbsettings, insomnia, some others). I then noticed my phone was not sync-ing at all. not to windows, not to itunes. I tried re-installing itunes 64 bit, didnt work. tried un-installing all the apps i got from cydia, didnt work. long story short i decided to bite the bullet and do a factory reset. boy was that a mistake. I can turn the phone off by holding home + power, and go into forced recovery mode, but it doesnt do me any good because my computer still wont recognise the iphone. I know its not my usb or iphone plug because of the aforementioned foreced recover working. My phone stays in white apple screen, occasionally flashing off and back to same screen. I hope its not busted... please advice. thank you.

(ps. I upgraded the firmware by doing recover through itunes one time before, but everything was working fine until the events above. upgraded from firmware 3.0 to 3.1.2)
    (pss, I tried sync-ing to a macbook, same results)
    (psss, I could never get DFU mode to start, even counting outloud the number of seconds im suppose to hold home + power when the phone is off, is it suppose to be difficult or am I doing something wrong possibly?)
    Last edited by alex0xander; 03-04-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks

I was in the same boat as you back in Oct 2008, and I was using a Powerbook. Now what you need to do is download a custom 3.1.2 ipsw and save it to your desktop. Now close itunes. Hold the powerbutton for a few seconds then hold both the power and home together and do your count of ten release the power and keep holding the home and eventually you will see the itune logo and usb and plug your phone in. Give it a second to recognize it in recovery/restore mode when box pops up-now hold alt/restore and select the custom ipsw saved on your desktop and let it run its course. If u get error 1600 etc do not do anything but unplug and select the custom ipsw again until it starts without error codes. Your iphone will be hacktivated unlocked and jailbroken with cydia

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mikerlx For This Useful Post:

john.wood31 (07-05-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi thanks for replying. if you mean putting it into recovery mode and trying to have itunes recognise it. ive tried it before, itunes nor windows recodnises the phone. i do this by turning phone off, holding home + power, then letting go of opwer when i see apple. it goes to recovery mode just fine, but still will not sync.... =[

Sorry, if you meat DFU mode, I keep trying that but it doesnt appear to work. Is this the only solution?
    Last edited by alex0xander; 03-04-2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Hi, You should have the phone plugged in thru any and all your methods. Next thing to try is to hold your home and power down for 30-60 second slow count. I bet you will wake your windows computer up and itunes will definitely recognize your iphone. Then go from the info above to restore with custom ipsw.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mikerlx For This Useful Post:

john.wood31 (07-05-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

i had the same prob when i had my 2g try running ireb with phone plugged in turn it off, hold power+home screen shouldnt power 10 seconds release power hold home screen should do nothing to let u know its in dfu. comp should recognize ireb should crash and ur screen should be white flash to ur flavor of firmware and u should be back up and running

I haz a number
    Thanks

Not sure if this will be helpful. But I had a 2g stuck in the constant on-off with the white apple coming and going. Nothing I would do, could stop this cycle.

I used Dev Team software and was up and running in minutes. My senario may be way different than yours. So this may not help you.

I used Red Snow and it was able to stop the cycle. I can't remember where in the process it did it though. If all else fails you, try Red Snow or maybe even Quickpwn.

Good luck.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for the replies. I didnt get chance to try some of them, but my phone is working again (as in I can use it to make phone calls and everything). A friend took it to get it fixed, although im not sure what it was done to it. It still does not synch to my computer, so I'm thinking it's either my usb cable, or a hardware problem. I will keep you update as I get another cable.