+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G, 3.1.2, Phone firmware died? Reboot cycle...

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello all! I hope someone has an idea of what to do, because I'm stuck. What I have: Windows 7 Machine with latest iTunes, iRecovery, redsn0w, blackra1n, and a few
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3G, 3.1.2, Phone firmware died? Reboot cycle...
    Hello all! I hope someone has an idea of what to do, because I'm stuck.

What I have:
    Windows 7 Machine with latest iTunes, iRecovery, redsn0w, blackra1n, and a few other access programs for SSH....
    iPhone 3G, with 3.1.2, stuck in a boot cycle....

Preface:

I went to make a phone call yesterday morning and when I opened the phone application, i found that clicking anywhere within the phone app resulting in nothing, however, the device was still responsive, as all other programs worked, all buttons, and I could easily open SBSettings.

If I was thinking correctly, I would have synced it to my computer before I rebooted it, but I just force-killed it (using home+power for 10 seconds). The result, upon powering on the device, was the logo for 90 seconds or so, then a blank (black) but lit screen for another 45 seconds or so, then the apple logo again with the circular loading circle for about 10 seconds, and then blank/black screen for another 20... then a bright white flash and then the phone powering back on....

I just stopwatched it:
    ~90 sec - Apple Logo
    ~90 sec - Black (but lit) screen
    ~15 sec - Apple Logo w/ Loading Circle
    ~15 sec - Black (but lit) screen
    ~.5 sec - Bright Flash
    (repeat)

What I can Do
    I can get the phone into recovery mode, or DFU mode. Windows does see the phone, but I am unable to get my programs to access the phone.

I downloaded USBView, which does indicate that the phone is showing up in recovery or DFU mode when I connect in those relative modes, but I cannot get other programs to access the phone in any way.

Complication
    I need data that is on the phone from this last couple weeks, since i last backed up the iPhone. I have another iPhone to use in the meantime, but I need to recover the info, thus, I have not tried a restore yet.

Troubleshooting steps I've taken:

I tried to let the phone die all the way. Result: Same problem

Launched into DFU mode and recover mode, attempted any access with iRecovery, which indicates that no iPhone or iPod is connected. Maybe a windows issue, not sure...

Re-Jailbreak using RedSn0w... first time unsuccesful as it couldn't tell the phone to reboot. Second time was successful, went through all the processes and then upon boot ran into the same boot cycle that i had before.

Re-Jailbreak using BlackRa1n... upon reboot, stuck in same cycle I'm having before.

Tried using ZiPhone (Yes, I realize it's not for 3.0 devices or later, but i'm desperate)... all I tried with it was to tell the phone to go into/out of DFU mode or boot normally once I manually put it into DFU mode... didn't seem to be able to communicate with the device at all.

Checked router status, and the phone never connects via WiFi.

When phone is in it's boot cycle, it never connects to the computer... it only connects when in DFU or Restore mode.

Used different USB ports... docks.. etc... all without success...

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by dgriff80; 03-03-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i had same problem but i put it in dfu some how and it took me a couple hours to play around with it and had to restore it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

urg ya I figured I could 'restore' it... I am just trying to find a way to ssh into it to get a couple files before I do so...

Thanks

Have u ever used iRecovery? I haven't so I don't know if this will work but it's worth a try...
    iRecovery: Get Out iPhone from Recovery Mode Loop on Restart | iPhone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ya except I can't get iRecovery to recognize the phone...

Launched into DFU mode and recover mode, attempted any access with iRecovery, which indicates that no iPhone or iPod is connected. Maybe a windows issue, not sure...