Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help! Iphone 3GS - No lights?!?

Default Help! Iphone 3GS - No lights?!?
    Hello!

Im having an issue with my 32gb iphone 3GS

i have only had it for 2 months and the other day i switched it on and it was working perfectly and all of a sudden the lights sort of glowed brighter then shut off.. they wont switch on at all now..

The rest of the phone is still in perfect working order, screen is still responding and can be seen *in direct sunlight* speakers work microphone and camera works ... only the lights dont!

Has anyone got any idea as to what this may be?
    Im a flight attendant so with the hours i work its very hard to get to an apple store to see the genius, i will try to take it in but i would like to know what it could be

Sounds like the LCD is having the issue, I had a 3G do it once to me and the only way to get that repaired would be through Apple unless you did the repair.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BoisePunk22 For This Useful Post:

jacky_moo (03-02-2010)

If your LCD is blown you will need to replace it. There is a good chance Apple will replace it under warranty if there are now visible signs of abuse. If you wish to keep your iPhone because of the early bootrom, or just personal preference, you can request the Genius to do a display swap rather than replacing the entire phone. Good luck.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

jacky_moo (03-02-2010)

I actually got a moment to take it in this afternoon and they said that its been dropped, i honestly dont know what he is talking about as its lived in a case since the day i bought it and i never drop it, the chrome is perfect on it and there is a tiny tiny little Grey mark on the white part of the housing, he said that if i have dropped it and now it wont work then theres nothing apple can do to fix it, he offered me a replacement but thats where it ended.

he also checked the connector at the bottom with like a magnifying glass because it said it sounds like its been wet which it never has but he said its 'all white' so its ok

i had a look on ebay at replacement LCD's but im not sure which part i need, the digitizer works fine, literally the only fault with the phone is the lack of lights ( yes it can still be used but only under bright light)

To clarify what part is it i need exactly?

New LCD

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Thanks

I have kinda the same problem when I take the iphone out of standby or whatever its called the screen is really dim it does come on & I can unlock it but can barely see it..I have to reboot the iphone & then it'll start working normally...This doesnt happen all the time but it does get annoying..

That is still a faulty LCD. If the LCD is replaced the issue will go away. If your iPhone is under warranty you cn have the display replaced.

Melech518 is correct, the LCD is bad, might not even have to have any physical damage for those to go out. The digitizer is attached to the glass and senses where your finger is to correspond with what is on the screen.

Okay, I am working on a similar problem for an iPhone 3gs that was dropped, it shattered the digitizer and the lcd (which was lit up fine) worked but had damage. I replaced the digitizer and the LCD, but now there is no backlight. I can see with a light that the phone is running fine. I go to settings and turn the auto dimmer off and on, no change. I turn the brightness up, no results. I even ordered a second LCD but this did not fix the problem. Any ideas??? Ack!