+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G Mods

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys, Frequent lurker, rare poster. Trying to sort out some upgrades Im wanting to do to my 3G. I dropped the phone a while ago and a bubble has
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3G Mods
    Hey guys,

Frequent lurker, rare poster. Trying to sort out some upgrades Im wanting to do to my 3G. I dropped the phone a while ago and a bubble has appeared between the glass and whatever the black stuff at the top is (all around the speaker). So, I'm thinking of replacing the touchscreen assembly and while Im at it, cleaning the dust between the LCD out too. While I'm at this, Im going to replace the back case with a blue one that Ive found online.

Here's my questions I can't find answers to on here:

Does anyone know if I can put the iPhone 3GS touchscreen (appears to have the same connections onto my 3G so I can have the oleo-phobic coating?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a good one-stop shop for this? I'm not interested in going the ebay route and having to buy 5 different auctions from 5 different people. Right now I'm looking at Chinaontrade.com which someone I know has ordered from successfully. Any others that are reasonably priced? cnn.cn certainly is NOT reasonable.

And I've have the phone for about a year and a half, god knows if the battery is still going strong or not, I cant remember how long it used to last. Worth the $10 - $20 for the replacement?

I've noticed that sometimes my phone doesnt appear to like docking. Its intermittent, but while Im at this should I just grab the $10 dock connector too to cover that?

If there are threads already existing that actually answer my questions, please link me. Sorry in advance if there are, but I simply couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

FIrst, you can not use the 3GS digitizer or LCD on a 3G. They are completely different connections.
    Second, There are a few ebay stores that carry all iPhone parts. If you cannot find them, feel free to PM me. I have every iPhone part imaginable.
    If you are worried about the battery and want to replace it, make sure you use OEM only and stay away from Ecell.

You can always purchase a new dock connection assembly if your dock connector is acting funny, it is a fairly simple repair.

A housing swap is the most advanced repair you can do on an iPhone 3G or 3GS. It requires complete disassembly of the iPhone. There are several thread on the forum that cover this and several experienced members such as myself who are around to help if you have questions.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

black_orchid (03-20-2010), myrdog (03-03-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    A housing swap is the most advanced repair you can do on an iPhone 3G or 3GS. It requires complete disassembly of the iPhone. There are several thread on the forum that cover this and several experienced members such as myself who are around to help if you have questions.
    I gotta say, I am pretty good with taking things apart (satellite receivers for soldering, my macbook), but watching a video of a housing replacement on this phone gave me a whole new respect for the people who work at the factories that make these. I'm usually not worried about this kind of stuff, but damn it looks easy to screw something up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Practice makes perfect I do about 15-20 of these a day and it has become second nature.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Alright, my new back came. Tried taking the phone apart today. All the instruction videos online suck, after screwing up my glass I found the "suction cup" method. I currently have scratched glass, peeling rubber, and a broken case opening tool because of how difficult my screen was to get out. So it looks like Im ordering a new one.

Anyone have suggestions? I've found new glass and digitizer ranging from $25 to $70. They're the exact same, I dunno what gives. Then the bezel. This little bugger is fun. Nobody carries this guy. Those who do want a ridiculous $40 or so, plus shipping for it. Lookin at getting it from hong-kong and they till you its likely to break during shipping but dont offer any solutions such as requesting it to be shipped in something sturdier. Anyone have a place to get a bezel?

Thanks

Just live with the rubber.... Or stretch it. The rubber really doesn't matter. The Digitizer does.
    iPhone 4, Yellow Custom Glass, 32GB, 4.3.3, non-working home button. And a prototype iPhone 4 White.
    Main Computer:MacBook Unibody Plastic, 2.26GHZ, 4GB RAM, 250x2GB, Red glowing Apple.
    Water Damaged iPhone? Don't throw it away; iPhone Motherboard washing tutorial!!! (PM me I will do it for you)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yea, the rubber has stopped hanging out, I tucked it away nicely, no big deal anymore. I just ordered a new #3 flex assembly off ebay along with some new mesh for the mic and speaker. Grand total of $7 with shipping. The front glass just seems like too much to be worth my while anyway. Looking forward to not accidentally muting, hanging up, and speakerphoning my calls. Too bad that's a week or so of shipping from Hong Kong away.