+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G 3GS Camera swap

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have opened up quite a few iPhone 3G and noticed how easy it is to get to the camera. I also noticed how cheap 3G and 3GS cameras are
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default iPhone 3G 3GS Camera swap
    I have opened up quite a few iPhone 3G and noticed how easy it is to get to the camera. I also noticed how cheap 3G and 3GS cameras are on eBay.

Is there ANY way to get a 3GS camera into a 3G? If so, will the difference in quality be noticeably different? Are there any other components that need to be changed?

I have read that the cameras are not exactly the same size, which makes sense to me..... what about swapping out the plastic housing that snaps into the back case?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Any ideas?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

lol I asked this exact question like a month ago on these forums but people weren't so helpful. My 3G camera broke so while I was searing for a replacement I saw that the 3G and 3GS camera were almost identical, since they were both so cheap, I ended up buying both of them. I plugged in the 3GS camera to my 3G and the phone booted up fine but when I tried to open the camera app, it would just stay on the screen with the "aperture" closed. That was kinda what I expected. I'm sure with a little software modding it would work fine but I simply did not have the time to do that. I'm just confirming that the 3GS camera plugs into the 3G logic board and in the case perfectly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to velocity211 For This Useful Post:

lewkskywalker (02-28-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity211 View Post
    lol I asked this exact question like a month ago on these forums but people weren't so helpful. My 3G camera broke so while I was searing for a replacement I saw that the 3G and 3GS camera were almost identical, since they were both so cheap, I ended up buying both of them. I plugged in the 3GS camera to my 3G and the phone booted up fine but when I tried to open the camera app, it would just stay on the screen with the "aperture" closed. That was kinda what I expected. I'm sure with a little software modding it would work fine but I simply did not have the time to do that. I'm just confirming that the 3GS camera plugs into the 3G logic board and in the case perfectly.
    Thanks for the confirmation!

Any ideas on what can be done to get the 3gs camera to actually work, software wise?

Thanks!

Thanks

well not only that but u would need to rewrite the whole camera app i would just stick to the 3G camera and save u the headache...remember the 3GS camera has a hardware difference aswell
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

perma-banned for life
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,049 Times in 3,590 Posts

Ive managed to get the 3Gs camera onto the 3G , even the tap to focus works. Ive noticed a difference in pictures. I also have native video recording. The little switch at the bottom right corner of the shutter. It records at 30FPS , the only flaw is the the contrast ratio is a little off casuing the playback of the recorded video to come out with a hint of green. Nevertheless this shows that it is possible , and was all accomplished by the tutorial on this site.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ArDottCeeDuble View Post
    Ive managed to get the 3Gs camera onto the 3G , even the tap to focus works. Ive noticed a difference in pictures. I also have native video recording. The little switch at the bottom right corner of the shutter. It records at 30FPS , the only flaw is the the contrast ratio is a little off casuing the playback of the recorded video to come out with a hint of green. Nevertheless this shows that it is possible , and was all accomplished by the tutorial on this site.
    Can you link to the tutorial that teaches you how to do this? I'm VERY interested hahaah

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity211 View Post
    Can you link to the tutorial that teaches you how to do this? I'm VERY interested hahaah
    I'd also like to see the tutorial....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Another request for the tutorial link. Nothing's showing up in a search

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think this is fake. 3GS camera is bigger than 3G. Also you need to patch software. So far no one did it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've seen tutorials to activate the tap to focus and to get the switch to video in the camera app for the iphone 3g using the stock camera. But since the stock camera in the 3g doesn't have focus it just gives you the graphics but doesn't actually work. Also when you activate the switch to video this disables the camera, in the tutorial it uses cycorder to record the video and also has the trimming feature. I think that even though these features can be activated in the 3g, when the 3gs camera module is installed it still wont work. The 3gs camera module is a different hardware than the 3g camera and I guess noone has figured out yet the driver(s) needed to operate the 3gs camera module. That's as far as I've seen and it kind of stops there.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

like everyone else said
    the iphone 3g thinks its using a 3g camera
    just like the battery
    if you replace it with a higher capacity battery, it will still think it is using the normal battery

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

plz some one help me my iphone camera shutter is not opening

iPhone? More like MyPhone Nopstnz8's Avatar
    Thanks

What if you copy over the camera.app?