+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Now I've done it- Blank screen

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
After numerous disassemblies(this time to replace camera and clean between LCD and digitizer) my little clip on cable 3 snapped so I ordered a new one from digikey. The other
    Thanks

Default Now I've done it- Blank screen
    After numerous disassemblies(this time to replace camera and clean between LCD and digitizer) my little clip on cable 3 snapped so I ordered a new one from digikey. The other problem is the screen is blank and as I understand it cable 3 shouldn't cause this? So I also ordered a new LCD hoping that I just ruined the flex cable. Probably will get here Tuesday but I'm going crazy not knowing whether or not it is the problem. I tried to txt with my Motorola Krzr and almost broke into tears!!!

Any thoughts (besides "stop messing with it" )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

lol, Don't cry.
    Yes, your LCD is damaged, which is why you are getting the white screen.
    The FPC connector repair is extremely difficult if not done under a microscope. If you have trouble, there is a user on the forum who I would recommend send it to for repair. I have sent several phones to him, PM Krazy
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Effenpig! (02-20-2010), krazy (02-22-2010)

Thanks

my screen is actually black, thats what worries me.

As far as the connector repair, I got lucky there. Just the little locking tab broke from repeated use, ther is no damage at all to the connector itself. I should be able to easily remove the locking tab from the new connector and put it on the connector in my phone since it is just held in by the little pins at either end. I checked and the connect spreads easily to allow me to replace it.

The completely black screen is what worries me, I could hear it click when I pressed power and home like when taking a screen shot. Just really hoping the flex on the LCD snapped internally. If the new LCD doesn't work I guess I will send it to one of the peple on this forum who does repairs.

I guess the reason I'm worried is because when I got the phone it had water damage. There was small bit of corrosion on the camera connector and the LCD connector on the board. After replacing the camera it still didn't work so I hope the same thing doesn't happen when I replace the screen. I did get all the corrosion cleaned off when I first got the phone but who knows?
    Last edited by Effenpig!; 02-20-2010 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

If you new to send it down let me know.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Effenpig! (02-24-2010)

Thanks

Hopefully LCD will arrive tuesday and then I will know whether I need to send it or not.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krazy's Avatar
    Thanks

If your #3 connector doesnt work still, let me know. Check my sig for a review of my work.

Also, make sure ALL the corrosion is gone from the #1 connector, that could be the cause of the LCD troubles

Thanks again Melech!
    How to fix #3 CONNECTORS:
    http://hectordtruong.blogspot.com/

Thanks

I did get all the corrosion(as far as I can tell) As soon as I get the new LcD I'll know whether or not I'll need to send it

Updateas if anyone but me cares !)

Okay, I got the new LCD and camera today (was supposed to get a full screw set too but got a main flex cable instead). I plugged the LCD in before I even assembled anything an it worked, Yay!!!! Even better, the new camera works too !!! The strange thing is the first camera I ordered was supposed to be OEM and did not work. It came with a straight flex cable so I had to bend it to install. The second camera, which was not specified as OEM came with a pre-bent flex, and I think that made the difference. Who knows though, I can only surmise. So, now phone is fully functional except for components controlled by the number 3 flex cable. Hopefully the new connector will arrive shortly and I will be able to remove the little black clip and insert it in my existing connector. My original clip had snapped right in the middle and I was able to glue it and get it back in place, but it snapped in half again when I tried to close it. So i'm pretty confident I should be able to swap it, as long as it is an exact match.

Also, for anyone who might care, I ordered the parts from ebay seller TallPC, and even though they sent a flex cable instead of screw set, I am very happy with the parts quality and extremely fast shipping. Plus I paid extra for the priority shipping on the LCD and they were nice enough to pack all my other stuff in with it. Obviously it's not like it is a huge deal to fit a iphone camera and screw set in with the LCD, but it was definitely very much appreciated as they weren't obligated to do so.
    Last edited by Effenpig!; 02-23-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Another Update:

I got the flex #3 connector from Digikey today. I was able to remove the little locking tab and place it on my existing connector. So all is good and working now. I have a working camera too! YAY!! I had to download cycorder and face goo to see what I have been missing

Now if I can just resist the urge to tear it back apart to get that tiny speck of dust off my LCD I should be Okay

Thanks again for everyones advice and the offers to do the repair if necessary. I'm sure it won't be too long before I damage something to the point that I can no longer handle the repair myself

Thanks

great job! much easier than soldering a new one on probably haha

12. The Following User Says Thank You to krazy For This Useful Post:

Effenpig! (02-24-2010)

Thanks

Believe me, if I needed it soldered I wouldn't try it myself. No way!! Without the proper equipment I bet you would have to get just plain lucky for that repair to work. The left tab of my connector is getting a little weak from inserting the new tab, so if I have to open the phone again I'll probably use a small dab of hot glue next to it to reinforce it. If that doesn't work you'll be the first person to know !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    Believe me, if I needed it soldered I wouldn't try it myself. No way!! Without the proper equipment I bet you would have to get just plain lucky for that repair to work. The left tab of my connector is getting a little weak from inserting the new tab, so if I have to open the phone again I'll probably use a small dab of hot glue next to it to reinforce it. If that doesn't work you'll be the first person to know !!
    PLEASE DONT USE ANY ADHESIVE! I had to fix people's mistakes and oftentimes the glue does more harm. Its a mess when there is glue all up under the connector.

Thanks

The "hot glue" I'm referring to isn't really an adhesive. I've used it before on boards when vibration is a concern, causing connections to come loose. I'm not actually going to use it to "glue" anything in place, I was going to use a small amount between the connector and the sim housing to keep the connector tab from moving and letting the little black tab pop out. It won't actually be on or in the connector. I've used it for similar applications before and it is easily removable, it just pops right out if you put a little pressure on it. When dry it is more like rubber than glue. Just basically want it to use as a "wedge" to give the connector support since I weakened it when I installed the new locking tab.

Don't worry, if I do end up having to send it in for any repairs you'll never even know it was there