+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: custom metal iphone

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Wow, good job machining! I do CNC design and machining all day at work and I know what you did takes skills. All I can say is don't share your
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wow, good job machining! I do CNC design and machining all day at work and I know what you did takes skills.

All I can say is don't share your CAD files! Sell this design and make some money for your hard work!

And I am also really curious what Titanium you used. I've never heard of any metals that are RF-Transparent, but if that metal exists, we could really use that in some of our products.

Thanks,
    -Taylor

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

Just wanna remind ya that I was the second poster....for when you start selling them and make millions
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

"Long time follower, first time poster,"

Hey Martin,

Have you considered submitting your design to Quirky @ quirky | social product development

There we all can commit to purchasing your design and you don't have to manage any sale of your mod.

I am sure by now, with all the attention your efforts are generating and all the work you put in, that keeping your fantastic engineering under closed doors will only increase the interest.

We the community love ingenuity and look forward to enjoying your creation on our own iPhone's.

Thanks for listening,

Green Apple
    Thanks

Martin,

Very nicely done! I honestly was skeptical prior to Giz's post, but it's nice to see that it's real with the video.

I'm curious how you went about redoing the vibrate switch like you did? Did you simply reshape the current part? Also, how did you make the finished product? I've work with CNC machines and whatnot and so by the smoothness of the final piece I don't get the impression it was made with a CNC machine... I know it is possible to get that finish with some CNC machines, but those machines are fricken nuts.

I'd really love to hear more about the process... I'm currently studying engineering at my university and have a massive interest in stuff like this (I spend a decent amount of time in our rapid prototyping lab) so I'm really curious. Plus, obviously, I totally want one for myself, haha.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well if you do decide to give away (or sell?) your CAD files, I'd also be interested. Especially if you used Pro/E!

Nice work. Looks really cool and I'd love to have a customization like that.

Aaron

Thanks
    Thanked 9,527 Times in 5,846 Posts

After watching the vid, I just have to have one. It is the coolest mod to a case that I have ever seen. You must help and share this with the iPhone community.

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

^^ This case is AWESOME and something brand new but as far as coolest mod what about Croiman's Psycho case mod? This is new and would be much better for day to day use but that thing was TIGHT!! of course it was also much farther out of reach than this one
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wannabprogramma For This Useful Post:

romazzino (02-24-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What a day. Again, thanks for the overwhelming support and replies, I really wasn't prepared for that. There are a few things I'd like to mention before I fall asleep (its 2:30 A.M. here):

Its still a prototype, and I have to correct things here and there. I will get a new one next week with a nice coating against fingerprints, and some other improvements.

I know the logo is too big. I had to experiment with the depth and the size of it. I didn't know how the edges would look like, as the radius there is 0.3mm (I think). But that's not a big deal - changing the size of that takes 10 minutes in CAD, and the next one will be far smaller if not original size. And since there are other things to change I figured its not worth making another one just because of the size of the logo.

Some people asked how it has been manufactured, it has been CNC machined out of a solid block of titanium ( the one I got off area51, go figure). I am aware that this material affects the signal strength inside the phone, but not to a degree that would bother me. I did some testing and chose the type that worked best. Due to the geometry, the cover is very thick where the antenna sits (1.1mm, much thicker than the plastic) and the next one will be significantly thinner there. I think it should be even better then.

In case you wondered, it's exactly the same thickness than the original - even 0.3-ish mm smaller in width and height due to the flat sides. Its much nicer to grip and its stands on its own - which is nice when you watch video ;-) Obviously it's a bit heavier, but it fits nicely with the whole feeling and haptic. I will weigh it and keep you updated on the exact number.

I hope this answers some questions, I'll get back to the more specific ones as quickly as I can, thanks again,

Martin
    Last edited by romazzino; 02-24-2010 at 08:04 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to romazzino For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (02-24-2010), soulthoughts (02-24-2010), wannabprogramma (02-24-2010)

Thanks

this is a sweet mod... good job!
    iPhone 4S 64GB White 5.1 UL | i7 Hackintosh 3.5 Ghz 32GB/ 2x128GB SSD, 2x1TB HD, 2x3TB HD, 2TB HD 10.7.3

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default CAD Files
    Hello,

I am absolutely impressed with your work.
    Not only does the titanium casing display your excellence in craftsmanship, but it also fits!
    May I ask what kind of optical measurement system you used?
    Because all systems based on lasers or reference elements and DSLR's I have used could not produce results I could use for this...
    (Believe me, I have tried.)

You would not happen to want to share your CAD-File with us?

I would not want to produce a mere copy of your work, my goal is a carbon or kevlar fibre case.
    But for my prepreg materials I need an excellent mold and I will need to make inserts for the screws and so on.
    And the optical measurement system I have acces to only has a precision of 1/10th of a milimeter -> Not good enough for this...

However, I can completely understand if you dont feel like sharing...

Either way: Congrats to your work!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,527 Times in 5,846 Posts

^ Cool, I would also be all in for a kevlar or carbon fibre case like this. Exciting for sure.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I actually like the size of logo and the fact that there are no other labels on the bottom

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i would love to purchase this case if you want to get rid of it. i like the size of the logo and the uniqueness. please let me know.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default that thing from the future
    Hi Martin,

I know this is yet another reply from theabundance of interested parties. I'll still give it a shot to grab your attention.

Is it gonna be for some sort of limited production?

I couldn't understand how one can grab an ingot of titanium. at 7 eleven perhaps?

Are you considering throwing out a limited number of these? I know this might have been a recurrent them, but i want one, at any cost!!!

The blind samurai

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

best mod ever.....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default So is it RF transparent or not
    Original post:
    "It's made out of a special titanium alloy that is RF transparent."

Update:
    "it has been CNC machined out of a solid block of titanium ( the one I got off area51, go figure). I am aware that this material affects the signal strength inside the phone, but not to a degree that would bother me. I did some testing and chose the type that worked best."

So is it a special RF transparent or not?
    If yes why does it affect the signal strength inside the phone.
    If no, why did you say it was.

Seems strange...

J

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Tseng View Post
    Original post:

So is it a special RF transparent or not?
    If yes why does it affect the signal strength inside the phone.
    If no, why did you say it was.

Seems strange...

J
    I first tried it with the aluminum cover, and the phone got no (zero!) reception. Wifi wouldn't work even if you stand right next to the router. With titanium however - it's nearly like the plastic phone. Therefore I think titanium is much more - I should have written "permeable" instead of "transparent" - than aluminum and most other metals.

Hope this is clear now. M.
    Last edited by romazzino; 02-25-2010 at 05:24 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Awesome Job & Please... let us buy some.
    I would buy a few of these if the opportunity became available. Such an awesome mod to the iPhone. Thanks for taking the time to do this, even if you don't sell any. It was still worth the look at what could be.

If you do think of selling some, I'm at the top of the list I hope.

Again, excellent job.

Jason

Professional Architectural Photography - JStrongDesign - Stockholm, Sweden

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's complete AWESOME...put me on the list of interested buyers ))...love it!