Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Keyboard issue :( :( :(

Default Keyboard issue :( :( :(
    greetings iphone users, abusers, and experts,

i am having a problem with my iphone that bugs me to no end. it literally is affecting my life...well maybe not as much but it's pretty darn serious.

i have an iphone 3g, which i used with att but had to switch over to tmobile, didnt feel like getting another phone and ditching my iphone so i had it unlocked by some people who do it for a living. everything worked fine, but i notice after about an hour or so the keyboard starts acting weird. i cant type the left side of the keyboard which are letters E, S, D, Z, X....like wtf! but when i switch to landscape mode i can which isnt that great cus most apps dont have landscape support and its quite inconvenient. also, after some heavy use on my iphone, or probably when the battery is around half or a little under half full, the screen starts acting up and scrolling up and down incessantly when my finger is like a centimeter ABOVE the screen, okay i didn't even touch anything yet...

please.......can someone tell me why this is happening? i would very much like an explanation then maybe i would feel better about it...but what i really want is a solution. if the problem is not fixable im just going to have to jump to a Blackberry.

many thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

and when u presss where those letters are on the screen like the springboard does it work

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

yup it works fine everywhere else..its just on the portrait keyboard that has the problem in that area.

with the screen scrolling problem, it stops after i restart the phone but it happens the same time as the keyboard problem.

Does a restore solve the problem?
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

i've never tried a restore, because i was told that the phone would get locked up again. can anyone confirm if its true?

Of course it would. But if you Option+Restore to 3.1.2 you can JB/Unlock again using blackra1n and sn0w...you do have a 3G correct?

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

yup i've got a 3g...

im not very good with the tech stuff so i have no idea how to unlock or jailbreak the iphone. i paid 30 bucks to have it done for me last time.

There are tons of guides on the forum. All you have to do is use the search function at the top of this page.
    Go to this website: blackweather click on the Windows icon or the Mac icon depending on your OS.

Download the 3.1.2 ipsw for 3G here: http://modmyi.com/forums/downloads.p...32355&act=down

Put your phone in DFU mode:
    How to Put your iPhone 2G and 3G into DFU/Recovery Mode

1.Plug your iPhone into the computer and power it off.

2. Press down on the Power button for 3 seconds.

3. While still holding the Power button, press and hold the Home button. Continue to hold both buttons for 10 seconds.

4. Release only the Power button and continue to hold the Home button for another 10 seconds.

iTunes will now recognize your iPhone in recovery mode...

Hold the Option key and press restore(MAC) or Shift+Restore(Windows)

After the restore:
    Open Blackra1n and Press "Make it Ra1n"

When blackra1n finishes, open the black ra1n app on your phone and select what you want installed, Cydia, rock, or Sn0w.

When finished you can delete the ra1n app from your phone.

Remember 3G needs to be turned off to use the phone on T-Mobile.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

WhyKnot (02-27-2011)

wow thats a lot of steps! but very clear, thanks a bunch

i have another question...updating it this way will not update the baseband right? if i update the phone's software through itunes then it would update the baseband as well...making it impossible to unlock, or so i've heard

You are not updating, you are restoring

oh..hmm im just a tad bit confused lol forgive me im such a noob...>.<

i currently have 3.0 so by downloading and installing the 3.1 software it would update it right?

Yes, but you do not want to click "Update" you want to click, "Restore" and manually select 3.1.2. This way we ensure you do not officially upgrade to 3.1.3 and lock the phone.

ohhhh that makes sense. so its okay if i select 3.1.2 even though i have 3.0?

lol um... hows that suppose to help ^^

is that a spam post?

Quote Originally Posted by tirah View Post
    ohhhh that makes sense. so its okay if i select 3.1.2 even though i have 3.0?
    Yes, and yes that was spam.

thanks a bunch, you're my life savior!!!

im going to try it out now.

hopefully it goes through without my clumsiness and lack of tech knowledge.

crap, so i did all the steps, and clicked restore.

it ended up updating to the newest software, which blackra1n wont unlock/jailbreak!!!

ok it jailbreaks, but now my phone is locked again...

so it updated my software to 3.1.2

i jailbroke it with blackra1n, then unlocked it with sn0w.

it recognizes tmobile and everything. but the restore didnt fix the problem with the keys on keyboard not working. i still cant type s, d, e, z, x on portrait mode but i can on landsape. wtfrack is going onnn
    Last edited by tirah; 02-16-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sounds like a hardware issue then. You will need to have the digitizer replaced.

i thought it might be hardware issue, but the screen works fine at that spot when its not on the keyboard...

idk if i should spend on a new digitizer or just unjailbreak it and see what happens

sorry to bother so much but, idk if its still hardware problem because i restarted the phone and the keys work. however after some use, those keys dont work again. ive tried closing all apps to see if its a memory problem but its still the same. this sucks, id have to restart the phone every time the keys dont work. why cant it be the letters that i dont type often.... like z or q
    Last edited by tirah; 02-16-2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It may be an issue with the main board. I have seen this with a few water damaged phones before.

Thanks

Water damage iphones do different things if they continue to work after the water dries up. Its always small things as described when the keyboard won't work. I had one water damaged that I had to type in my password first then username any my other non water damaged iphone worked normally username then password.