Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Replace 3g iPhone Sim Car Junctor/Reader

Default Replace 3g iPhone Sim Car Junctor/Reader
    I picked up a cheap 3g 8gb some time ago that wouldn't detect sims cards, opening it up quickly revealed the reason - someone must have used a Turbo sim type adaptor previously and got it stuck - all the pins on the sim reader were wrecked - misplaced and one was actually flopping about loose inside the phone. Since then my lad has been using it as an ipod touch with camera, but at the weekend I picked up another 8gb 3g - this time it looks like it is IMEI blocked - it gets the carrier but no signal on o2, on Virgin it gets carrier and full signal but all calls fail. So I figured this could be the 3g ipod touch and I'd replace the sim junctor on the other one and get it running fully again....

So I desoldered the old Sim Junctor, positioned in my new one (see 3g Sim Junctorand very carefully soldered it into place - most solder remained so I only needed a touch extra to keep it in place. Rebuilt the whole iphone, booted it up - it worked which was good news - but inserting the sim still came up with "No Sim" Dissembled the whole thing again, went back over the solder points and made sure they were all good, redid a couple and built it up again. Still no joy - it boots up fine, but does not detect a sim when inserted.

My question (finally) is - has anyone successfully replaced a sim junctor before? Am I missing something important - I figured it would simply be remove the six old mounting points and then rejoning in the six points on the new one. Or do I need to have yet another go at making sure all six connections are fully soldered in - although each connector literally sat on the old solder anyway - so my topping off would only really have been to seal it into place.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

It could have nothing to do with the SIM card reader and could be an issue with the main board.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks for the reply, so in theory when whoever had it yanked the turbo sim out taking the sim junctors with it - shorting them together and no doubt against the metal sim retainer housing - this could have damaged the sim card reading part of the Mobo.

I prefer this theory to the thought I am rubbish at soldering and botched the install of the new junctor - I think I'll let sleeping dogs lie it still works as a iPod touch with camera it can stay like that.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

iPhone? More like MyPhone krazy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robcoffee View Post
    Thanks for the reply, so in theory when whoever had it yanked the turbo sim out taking the sim junctors with it - shorting them together and no doubt against the metal sim retainer housing - this could have damaged the sim card reading part of the Mobo.

I prefer this theory to the thought I am rubbish at soldering and botched the install of the new junctor - I think I'll let sleeping dogs lie it still works as a iPod touch with camera it can stay like that.
    I could also check it out for you. I did 15+ sim connectors last weekend. Check out my work in my sig
    How to fix #3 CONNECTORS:
    http://hectordtruong.blogspot.com/