+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3g phone screen shuts off when in call

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So I've replaced the screen a few times. Now the touch is working again.. but whenever I call or pick up a phone the screen shuts off.. Like the phone
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3g phone screen shuts off when in call
    So I've replaced the screen a few times. Now the touch is working again.. but whenever I call or pick up a phone the screen shuts off.. Like the phone is on my ear (proximity sensor). Ear piece is working.

I replaced the screen and have checked the flex wire many times.

The only way I can get the screen back is if I hit the power button to get it back to the lock screen (hangs up the call)

I'm starting to think this is a connector/main board issue than screen/flex cable since I've replaced it countless times.

Anyone experienced this before? What do I do? Who should I send it to?
    Last edited by Down_Shift; 02-14-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

You didnt say you did so I will ask, Have you replaced the proximity cable? This is completely separate from the #1 and #2 Digitizer and LCD cables.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Down_Shift (02-15-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is the Proximity cable the same cable as the 3set of cables that comes with a new screen/digitizer? Where is this separate cable?

This is very odd. I just fix another phone with a similar problem, but I found a screw under the mainboard... and it was grounding it out!

Thanks

The proximity cable is the #3 cable. It should never come with a new digitizer. A new digitizer just has one cable, the #2 cable.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Down_Shift (02-15-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

But #1 #2 #3 are all on the same cable that comes off when you take the screen off the phone, correct?

Thanks

The display is made of 3 main components:
    The LCD(Cable#1), Digitizer(Cable#2), and Proximity Cable(#3) which is attached to the mid-frame

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3g phone screen shuts off when in call-photo-2.jpg   3g phone screen shuts off when in call-photo-5.jpg  
    Last edited by Melech518; 02-15-2010 at 09:05 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Down_Shift (02-16-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When I buy a screen/digitizer replacement they come with the 3 cables. These 3 you have to pull after you pop the screen off.

Are these the cables you're talking about? It looks the only difference is your pics show the screen side taken apart and cable 1 2 3 are seperated.

Thanks

It sounds like you are not purchasing a digitizer replacement, but really purchasing a complete assembly. That is not how a digitizer is supposed to be replaced, that is the lazy way. I have been telling you since my initial post that your proximity cable(#3) is damaged.

This is how a digitizer is supposed to be replaced....
    iPhone Jailbreak Guides | iPhone Tutorials | ModMyi.com Blog Archive How to Repair iPhone 3G Digitizer

Thanks
    My iphone screen also does this but i just have to tap the home button and it brings me to my springboard, then i click the call interface on the top of the screen. i thought nothing of it because it is no big deal to me, until i read this i actually thought the screen was suppose to do this.

I am almost certain that my cable 3 is not damaged, because i often take iphones apart and my personal iphone has only been taken apart once because i dropped it and the screen went white so i had to reset cable 1.

When you replace a screen you replace the ear piece, digitizer, and lcd(which is much more expensive then replacing 1 of them.) so i don't think its the cable that is messed up, but maybe the connector? because the cable is relatively new, but i may be wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

when u call,
    then of course it does this to save battery

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

Thanks
    thats what i thought, but he says to get the screen working again it ends the call and brings him to the lock screen which is odd.

Thanks

It sounds like you people do not know how to do a digitizer repair if you are replacing the entire assembly....
    If your replace the digitizer, then you are only replacing the #2 cable....

Thanks
    No, i know exactly how to do it. replacing the whole display is an upwards of 100 dollars which is ridiculous. when ever i fix an lcd or digitizer i only order the one part and replace it accordingly.

all i was thinking was that he put in a whole new display so there would of been new cords, which makes me think maybe it was the connector? or maybe he didnt put the cord in correctly

Thanks

But you do not know they are "new" parts. I know a lot of other companies that sell complete displays with refurbished parts. If it works fine with another proximity cable than that should isolate the problem. But I have also seen aftermarket LCDs and Digitizers that can cause the same issue when they are not manufactured properly.

@Downshift: Replace the proximity cable(#3) and see what happens. In the future I would not recommend spending the extra money on a complete display when only your digitizer is damaged. You can have the screen replaced properly by a professional if you do not feel comfortable doing it for less than a complete assembly would cost you