Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G Buzzing / Humming during calls

Default 3G Buzzing / Humming during calls
    My 3G phone has developed a loud buzzing through the earpiece when I make or receive a phone call. Noise goes way if I put the call on speakerphone.

I've searched high and low (many others having this issue) but haven't found a cure or a way to troubleshoot the problem.

Any advise on fixing the problem would be appreciated.

Regards, Ken

3G iPhone
    Jailbroke (Cydia)
    Unlocked (Ultrasn0w)

Thanks

Restore it and take it to apple for replacement. Sounds like speaker might be blown. When did it start, what were you doing then or what did u download before it started. Theses are all questions you need to ask yourself and then track back. Was it dropped or ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stlcaddie For This Useful Post:

CR125Honda (02-14-2010)

Just bought the phone (used) a couple weeks ago. Didn't know if apple would do anything with it as I was not the original purchaser.

The phone had Cydia on it when I bought it. I loaded Ultrasn0w to unlock and use with my local carrier (Cincinnati Bell). I also have phone internet service though their Edge network.

Everything was working fine (calls, internet, etc.) for a week or so.

The buzzing noise first started as a low hum and now it's loud enough that conversations are difficult.
    Works fine when I switch to speakerphone mode.

I have loaded a couple apps (Yellow pages, Flight aware, WHERE, Directv, Fox News, Weather Channel), etc., but really don't recall if the issue started after loading any of them.

I have used two different methods of charging the phone.
    Apple USB cord / computer and a generic apple charger bought on Meritline. Don't know if the charging method could have done damage..

I'll try a Restore and go from there.. Thanks, Ken

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just went to do the Restore. The note popped up that said the newest version of iPhone software would be installed. From what I've read, I don't want to do this.

Guess I need to do a little more research and find out how to restore with 3.1.2..
    Last edited by CR125Honda; 02-13-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by CR125Honda View Post
    Just bought the phone (used) a couple weeks ago. Didn't know if apple would do anything with it as I was not the original purchaser.

The phone had Cydia on it when I bought it. I loaded Ultrasn0w to unlock and use with my local carrier (Cincinnati Bell). I also have phone internet service though their Edge network.

Everything was working fine (calls, internet, etc.) for a week or so.

The buzzing noise first started as a low hum and now it's loud enough that conversations are difficult.
    Works fine when I switch to speakerphone mode.

I have loaded a couple apps (Yellow pages, Flight aware, WHERE, Directv, Fox News, Weather Channel), etc., but really don't recall if the issue started after loading any of them.

I have used two different methods of charging the phone.
    Apple USB cord / computer and a generic apple charger bought on Meritline. Don't know if the charging method could have done damage..

I'll try a Restore and go from there.. Thanks, Ken

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just went to do the Restore. The note popped up that said the newest version of iPhone software would be installed. From what I've read, I don't want to do this.

Guess I need to do a little more research and find out how to restore with 3.1.2..
    Download 3.1.2 and do shift+restore to install it. Then use blackra1n for jailbreak and blacksn0w for unlock.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis916 For This Useful Post:

CR125Honda (02-14-2010)

Just an update, it was a blown speaker and Apple replaced the phone for him
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

CR125Honda (02-16-2010)

Yep... Did the jailbreak / unlock, download 3.1.2, did shift+restore... Still had the buzzing noise. Melech518 recommended to replace the earpiece speaker. Took it to Apple Store hoping they could confirm the problem. Found out the phone was only 19 days out of warranty so Apple thankfully decided to replace it.

With Melech518's help (Thank You), I jailbroke/unlocked the new phone and all is well..