+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3g phone stopped responding to touch

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Touchscreen was acting weird recently.. The phone would seem like it was frozen, then it would start pressing buttons etc after I have stopped pressing buttons! Now it's completely dead..
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3g phone stopped responding to touch
    Touchscreen was acting weird recently.. The phone would seem like it was frozen, then it would start pressing buttons etc after I have stopped pressing buttons!

Now it's completely dead.. Gets stuck at the lock screen and I can't swipe.. Every now and then I would go check on it and sometimes it would work for a few minutes.. then start acting like it's possessed.. followed by being dead again.

It was jailbroken and I thought it was a software issue, so I did a full restore... right off the first boot with the Planet Earth lock screen, I can't slide to unlock.

I opened it up and looked at the 3 cables. Which one is for the touch? I noticed the one ribbon that needs to be clipped in has a small black dot on the connector. Is this normal? Does anyone have a picture of their flex cable ends so I can compare?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

The black dot is normal and #3 is for your proximity sensor.

Are you installing cracked apps on your phone? A lot of times we see this digitizer issue when having cracked apps installed. If a restore doesnt fix your problem you will need to replace the digitizer as it is bad.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Down_Shift (02-11-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok so after the restore it worked for a little bit. About 2 hours while I was playing with some winterboard. Worked fine for a while. Then I went to call someone and the phone icon seemed like it was being tapped on 8 times and nothing else was responding. I locked the phone with the top right button and I was left with a dead screen again.

Then 20 min later i was able to use the phone again. So I started deleting all the recent apps I installed or played with. And it stopped responding again.

I'm going to see if I can delete all the things I installed. Maybe it isn't a hardware issue?

No one has had any problems with this?

It was weird that I opened up the phone and was pressing on random spots and the touch would come back every now and them maybe it's just a coincidence

Thanks

What do you have installed from Cydia?

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Down_Shift (02-11-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cydia:
    Blacksn0w
    Winterboard with 2 themes
    Reflective Dock
    SBSettings
    Insomnia

Ever since my last post, I still haven't been able to access anything on the Iphone. Screen is still not responding.

I really think this is a hardware issue as the screen wasn't responding right after a fresh restore yesterday. Then it was intermittently responding last night while I was installing stuff.

If it's a the Digitizer, I would just open the phone up and unscrew the 2 pieces apart on the top side of the phone? (topside = screen half of the phone) 7 screws right?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Hardware for sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Down_Shift (02-11-2010)

Thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Down_Shift (02-11-2010)