Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G doesn't turn on after repair

Default iPhone 3G doesn't turn on after repair
    My iPhone had some issues with headphone jack and I bought a new headphone jack flex cable from eBay. I replaced the old part with a new one but after I put it all together, I couldn't turn on the phone. So after some tries which didn't succeed, I replaced the flex cable back to the old one - but still the phone didn't start. (I've replaced those many times for now)

I've already took the phone open like 10 times and tried every possible hard reset, DFU-mode starting with USB cable and everything like that. Phone just stays "dead".

Interesting thing is that if I plug the cable to the phone and to computer or to a wallcharger, when I press my ear next to earpiece - I can hear a little "electrical noise". Is that good or bad?

So what do you guys think? Can the logic board be broken somehow, or what might the problem be? What can I try?

Have you done a hard reset? It is possible the logic board is not making contact with the battery.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Have you done a hard reset? It is possible the logic board is not making contact with the battery.
    Yes, I have done a hard reset. I also overchecked the logic board and battery contact - It's all okay.
    But yeah, there's no different whatsoever - if I have the battery in my phone or not.

Is there any way to check the battery and see if it's working or not? Or what do u suggest?

Find out specs on iphone battery and try a different comparable power source to see if your battery is shot.

It doesnt sound like the battery is functioning properly so I would suggest replacing it.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

I would double and triple check connector 1. If it's not seated correctly the screen will stay black and it will seem like the phone isn't turning on even though it is. That may be why you can hear a "noise"

I replaced the battery, still no difference.

Thanks

You may have boned the LCD flex connector. Happened to me.

WHen you press power and home together can you hear it click when it tries to take a screenshot?

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    You may have boned the LCD flex connector. Happened to me.

WHen you press power and home together can you hear it click when it tries to take a screenshot?
    Nope that's not it.

Then it must be some logic board problem or what? Are there anyone who repairs logic boards?

If you flick the side silent/non silent switch,

Does the phone vibrate? Or can you at least hear the phone try to vibrate.

This same issue occured when I did a screen repair recently, and the issue was that I had accidently flicked the On Button while doing the repair, the phone itself turned on and thus when the LCD was connected again it didnt pick up the screen.

To fix it I had to remove/reconnect the battery to completely turn it off/on.

Turned out the LCD Flex Cable itself was also damaged, so with the LCD Screen fixed aswell the phone worked perfectly again.

If you have the phone open, and flick the silent/non silent switch you should see the vibrate part actually spin if it is still 'turning on.'

Hopefully this helps,
    Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by iKristjan View Post
    Nope that's not it.

Then it must be some logic board problem or what? Are there anyone who repairs logic boards?
    I am having a VERY similar issue. After a housing swap I cannot turn on. Still registers with iTunes but the phone doesnt seem to be on as flicking the vibrate does nothing.

My initial guess is that I broke the flex cable.... can anyone confirm this?

iKristjan, did you have any luck?

Thanks!

Also..... so far I have done 3 housing swaps.... one came out fine and the other two exactly as I described above. What am I doing wrong?

What does it take to render the headphone/power button flex cable useless?
    Last edited by lewkskywalker; 03-05-2010 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

A little update. The phone had stayed dead for a while but one day I plugged it again to a usb, and after some time the phone turned on and show a empy battery warning. So I was like "whoa", and charged it a little time and eventually it turned on. And the phone worked, even the new flex cable worked. But the battery level was 8 percent and it was charging very slow. I had a brand new battery inside the phone from e_cell, because I got a suggestion to replace the battery. So I thought it was normal that the charging was very slow. After a while I switched it to charge in a wall charger and the battery was at 50% level last I remember... I was away for half an hour or so and when I came back the phone was dead once again (and hot). And nothing helped as before. I have heard that people have had some problems with e_cell batteries. So I ordered a used original battery and even with that it is still not working.

Any suggestions, lol?