Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP WITH iPHONE 2G

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default HELP WITH iPHONE 2G
    Hi guys,
    A few weeks ago i started seeing dead pixels in my iphone. I started massaging them and that really didn't do the trick. I couldn't contact one1 for help because i'm a newb to the forum and can't comment on his thread. So, i opened it up to see how hard it would be to do an LCD replacement myself. I only took off the back case before realizing i'd much rather have someone else who has more time than i do to do this. I'm a full time student and hold a part time job at Ohio State, so my life's kinda hectic. When i put it back together i tried to use the camera and it wash showing everything in a really distorted way. It's kind of hard to describe. The image was actually slightly altered but the colors were really weird. I was wondering if there was a way i could contact one1 maybe he can help. i use my camera a lot and feel so lost w/o it. Maybe he has the hardware laying around from other 2g's that i can give him some money for it and he can put it in for me? i dunno, i just really feel helpless and would appreciate any help i can get. Thanks guys.

this is what the camera is seeing right now...
    Last edited by Pitbull2o08; 02-08-2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Open the phone back up and make sure the connection for the camera is securely in place.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Pitbull2o08 (02-09-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,188 Times in 6,204 Posts

I kinda like the image, lolz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Open the phone back up and make sure the connection for the camera is securely in place.
    I'm not sure exactly where that's at... i didn't touch the camera at all though, if you'd be kind enough to point it out to me somehow, i will. thanks.

You will see it when you open the back of the phone. The camera connects directly to the logic board.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Pitbull2o08 (02-09-2010)

Thanks

can i disconnect it then reconnect it to make sure it's on there good enough?

it didn't work... i unhooked it and even took the camera out and peaked around... i secured it back into it's position and made sure it was connected. it still shows the same discoloring. maybe a firmware update huh?
    Last edited by Pitbull2o08; 02-08-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Firmware shouldnt effect your camera

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Pitbull2o08 (02-09-2010)

Thanks

ugh! well i'm sure i can install a new camera... they're about 5 bucks on ebay. you own a store... how much would you charge me to replace my LCD screen? Also, are there any parts that are backwards compatible from 3g to 2g? For example, put the faster processor in from the 3g to the 2g? and is the camera the same for both models? thanks for all your help.

If it's a first gen then none of the 3G or 3Gs parts are compatible. I hate the first gen, it is such a pain to deal with. We stopped doing the digitizer/LCD repair a few months ago. You are better off getting an out of warranty replacment from apple for $149

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Pitbull2o08 (02-09-2010)

Thanks

how do i do that??? i don't have apple care. and att doesn't know i have an iphone because i bought it off a friend and just jailbroke it.

You do not need any information. Since it is an out of warranty replacement you need all you have to do is walk into the store with an appointment and let them know that is what you are interested in. Just make sure to restore the phone in iTunes prior to going to the Genius Bar

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Pitbull2o08 (02-09-2010)

Thanks

ahhh, the guy said 199 for another 2g..

No, it is $149. Trust me...You are getting an out of warranty replacement, not a new phone.
    $199 is for the 3G and 3GS

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Pitbull2o08 (02-09-2010)

Thanks

ok wait....lol totally new scenario now! my friend is trading me her iphone 3g for my unlocked 2g...she just wants to use it as an ipod... her iphone 3g is on 2.2...which sucks, cuz i can't upgrade to 3.1.2 anymore. what do i do now? i'm totally stuck in a corner with this one. i don't know how to sync it to itunes, like make it my own. and i don't know how to delete everything on hers. or mine. she just wants my music and apps.

ok i went into settings on the 3g and "erased iphone" so that should do the trick for that. what do you guys think about the firmware issue? i really want 3.1.2 and to redo the baseband. i have little knowledge on that because i've only ever owned an iphone for a month and a half and it is the 2g. Thanks guys for all your help
    Last edited by Pitbull2o08; 02-09-2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You can restore fine! It is a 3G. Put the phone into DFU mode and Shift+Restore and select the 3.1.2 firmware

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Pitbull2o08 (02-09-2010)

Thanks

really? wow... this guy knows everything huh? lol i really appreciate you helping me like this. i wish i could thank you a thousand times. right now it's been deleting everything in the iphone through settings... it's been doing this for a while but it's almost done. i'll try what you said though. so i put in DFU mode, open up itunes, plug it in, then click cancel when it asks me about 3.1.3 then click shift+restore....and select 3.1.2

i need the 3.1.2 IPSW? where do i find this? and do i need to jailbreak again after i install it?

oh! and i'm with ATT. i just don't have an iphone contract...they think i have a Nokia 6650 w/ unlimited data. so now i get to use their 3G! yay, i've been stuck with edge for a while on the road and stuff. thanks again for helping.
    Last edited by Pitbull2o08; 02-09-2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You can download the 3.1.2 ipsw for 3G here:
    Apple, iPhone & iPad Forums, Mods, Guides, News, Themes, Downloads, and more! | ModMyi.com - Downloads - iPhone 3G 3.1.2

Just run Blackra1n after you restore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull2o08 View Post
    i wish i could thank you a thousand times.
    There are 8 posts on this thread you could thank lol
    Last edited by Melech518; 02-09-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Pitbull2o08 (02-09-2010)

Thanks

I thanks you 8 times... ok now how do i get all my cydia stuff from my 2G to my 3g? thanks again

i jailbroke it using blackra1n and put my sim in but i don't get bars and can't make a call
    Last edited by Pitbull2o08; 02-09-2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You need to install Sn0w from the Blackra1n app on your iPhone.
    You can download PKGBackup from Cydia on your 2G, back up your cydia apps with it, sync with your computer, then put PKGBackup on your 3G, and restore all of your apps

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Pitbull2o08 (02-10-2010)

Thanks

i did install snow... should i reinstall 3.1.2 then blackra1n again?

i installed snow, cydia, and rock.... then deleted ra1n... i couldn't download blacksn0w because i can't update cydia. i keep getting unable to connect to host and cache failure. lol this sucks
    Last edited by Pitbull2o08; 02-10-2010 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast