+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3G Issues

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey everyone. I've read a lot of stuff on here for help before but just decided to register. I would appreciate the help for my first post. Ok, I have
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Iphone 3G Issues
    Hey everyone. I've read a lot of stuff on here for help before but just decided to register. I would appreciate the help for my first post.

Ok, I have a jailbroken Iphone 3G. A week ago I replaced the broken screen on the phone. No issues worked great. So My alarm went off on it yesterday and you could hear a rattle. I ignored it and everything still worked fine, then all of the sudden I pulled it out of my pocket and its off. Won't turn on, restart via both power and home and won't display the charge symbol. I let it sit on the charger for 10 mins and then I held the power button and got the apple symbol and thats it. No restart or charge just that. Ok, so now I opened it back up to find a little screw floating around. It was one from under the number 6 connector way down in ther. I replaced it and noticed that the two prongs on the home button are gone. What do you think is going on that I can't even get a reboot going or even turned on anymore? I ordered the replacement home button ribbon, do you think I will be able to reset once I get that. Im just freaking out cause well Im Iphoneless.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Your home button isnt working because you broke the prongs. That is also why you cant hard reset
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

JZ nology (02-10-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Your home button isnt working because you broke the prongs. That is also why you cant hard reset
    Yes, but are my symptoms that I explained just seem like it needs to be a hard restart? Or does it sound like a more complicated repair/fix than just a new home button ribbon. And is that fix a real complicated fix. I have done a bunch of soldering and fixes on electronics but messing with my Iphone makes me nervous.

Thanks

It doesnt sound like anything restore wouldnt fix. The home button repair is difficult only in the sense that you have to remove the digitizer to get to the flex cable and the home button. But there is no soldering required.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

JZ nology (02-08-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It doesnt sound like anything restore wouldnt fix. The home button repair is difficult only in the sense that you have to remove the digitizer to get to the flex cable and the home button. But there is no soldering required.
    Alright thanks, so just take my time and be very careful. Can do.

Thanks

All you will need to do is the following:
    -Remove the 2 Screws on the bottom of the phone
    -Remove the display from the phone
    -Remove the 6 Screws holding the LCD and remove the LCD and set aside
    -Heat the digitizer with a hair drier or heat gun to soften the adhesive
    -Using ONLY A PLASTIC pry tool, gently separate the digitizer from the mid-frame.
    -If you encounter any resistance just heat again. You do not want to scratch or break your digitizer
    -Once it is removed set aside and simply remove the home flex cable.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

JZ nology (02-08-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

All you will need to do is the following:
    -Remove the 2 Screws on the bottom of the phone
    -Remove the display from the phone
    -Remove the 6 Screws holding the LCD and remove the LCD and set aside
    -Heat the digitizer with a hair drier or heat gun to soften the adhesive
    -Using ONLY A PLASTIC pry tool, gently separate the digitizer from the mid-frame.
    -If you encounter any resistance just heat again. You do not want to scratch or break your digitizer
    -Once it is removed set aside and simply remove the home flex cable.
    Hey man, thanks for the home button help. Now that I have successfully replaced the home button Im having issues even getting to DFU mode. While my phone is on the charger I can hold the power button and the apple logo will appear. If I try to do the Wake and home button combo the logo will appear and then the Itunes connect screen appears. Thing is I can't get this to happen when it is hooked up to the computer. Just with the wall charger. Any suggestions?

Thanks

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

JZ nology (02-10-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

IDK man, I tried that a couple times but nothing. It just seems dead even after having it on the wall charger for a while. Do you think that that loose screw messed with something else like the flex cable or batery? It is just completly unresponsive and there is no other damage than before i changed over the home button. no water damage ever either.

Thanks

Hmmmm...its is possible. I had a customer once bring me a phone that had major hardware issues and it turned out there was a screw hanging out in the same area you found yours. After removing the phone was perfect. I am not sure what is plaguing your phone however. You are more than welcome to mail it down to my shop if all else fails and I will look at it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

JZ nology (02-09-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmmmm...its is possible. I had a customer once bring me a phone that had major hardware issues and it turned out there was a screw hanging out in the same area you found yours. After removing the phone was perfect. I am not sure what is plaguing your phone however. You are more than welcome to mail it down to my shop if all else fails and I will look at it.
    That would be probably what Im going to have to do. Still the only thing that will show life is if its hooked up to just the charger. I can get the apple and the hook up to Itunes. Don't know why it won't do that with any computer (I tried a couple). The screen will flash real quick like its going to hard restart but then just goes blank.

Thanks

Sounds like you either damaged the battery or the flex. Now I am confident it is one or the other.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

JZ nology (02-10-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sounds like you either damaged the battery or the flex. Now I am confident it is one or the other.
    Thats was just a thought. Im thinking that little floater screw got in there somewhere and did something to keep it from charging properly or like you said the flex cable. should I remove the battery and check it out. I don't know if the flex cable would be visibel damage.

Thanks

It most likely wont be visible on the cable. Make sure the battery is lining up properly with the pads on the logic board and that the logic board is screwed down securely (not overly tight to the point it may damage the board).

The symptom of the iPhone only booting when plugged to the computer is almost always due to a bad battery or the iPhone not registering the battery.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

JZ nology (02-10-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It most likely wont be visible on the cable. Make sure the battery is lining up properly with the pads on the logic board and that the logic board is screwed down securely (not overly tight to the point it may damage the board).

The symptom of the iPhone only booting when plugged to the computer is almost always due to a bad battery or the iPhone not registering the battery.
    I think Im going to order a new battery cause that screw was around that area when I opened it to check it out the first time. They aren't expensive so shouldn't be a big deal. I will let you know what happens.

Which flex do you think it is. The charging flex or the largest flex cable? I might as well order the flex too but not sure which one your thinking.
    Last edited by JZ nology; 02-10-2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

The power flex(Headphone flex). I doubt the dock connector has anything to do with it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

JZ nology (02-10-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The power flex(Headphone flex). I doubt the dock connector has anything to do with it.
    Perfect, I ordered both the battery and cable all OEM and I thank you for your help. I may bug you one more time if it's not the battery and it's the flex cause that's a little bit bigger of a repair.

Thanks

Not a problem. I'll be around here somewhere

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

JZ nology (02-10-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Alright melech518, I just got both my battery and flex cable in. Im going to start with the battery and will update my status after that. I might need you.lol. Thanks.

Thanks

Ok, keep my posted

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

JZ nology (02-16-2010)