+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Headphone microphone & controls not working + Fix

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So here's the story, for about half a year now my headphone's microphone and audio (ipod) controls stopped working (the button on the microphone). I never really needed to use
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Headphone microphone & controls not working + Fix
    So here's the story, for about half a year now my headphone's microphone and audio (ipod) controls stopped working (the button on the microphone). I never really needed to use those until now. I tried using my friends' headphone (the original iphone one) and both the controls and the mic didn't work, however it did work on his iphone. The headphones itself were working (sound come out). Soon after I found out what the problem was, dust. The headphone plug-in (aux) collected alot, and I mean ALOT, of dust down there and blocked the plug-in circuitry.

How to fix:

1. Turn off your iphone.
    2. Get a unwounded paperclip or something thin enough to poke into the plug-in.
    3. Gently poke your paperclip down the plug-in to the bottom and start scraping for a couple seconds.
    4. Pin the paperclip down and at the same time, slide the paperclip out (like trying to clean your ears).
    5. Repeat a few times.

Results: both the controls + microphone started to work. Collected dust/lint particles together about the diameter of a 0.5cm ball.

So before you go out and spend money on getting your iphone repaired or getting a new set of headphones, do this first. Most likely this will fix your problem.

Edit: I recommend doing this anyways even if your iphone is working fine. You never know when you'll encounter my issue. Might be during the middle of something that was important. Anyways good luck!
    Last edited by Deviatorz; 02-04-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: add

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Worked for me!
    Brilliant; thanks! I wish I'd seen this before spending hours in stores and online testing and obsessively reading specs to see if headphone mics were really compatible with my old JBed 3G, after the first set faield. Well, now I have some great V-MODA phones, and the mic works thanks to your post! We sometimes forget that these advanced things are just machines, which need regular old physical cleaning once in a while...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I use compressed air

Thanks
    Thanked 3,866 Times in 2,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I use compressed air
    Thats one thing but do not use canned duster. Can duster has liquid in it and can damage your phones and turn the water sensors red!
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here