+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: broken screen, warranty question

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I dropped my 3G-S two weeks ago, broke the screen. I went to an Apple store hoping the genius would feel sorry for me and replace it, but he ended
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default broken screen, warranty question
    I dropped my 3G-S two weeks ago, broke the screen.
    I went to an Apple store hoping the genius would feel sorry for me and replace it, but he ended up trying to charge me $199 and told me they don't replace them (even though I've had friends who've gotten theirs replaced free of charge).

So I got on ebay and bought a new screen and replaced it myself. The phone is 100% fully functional now. The only problem now is that when I opened it, I guess I must have messed with something and the silence switch on the side of the phone is extremely sensitive and sometimes it goes off silent by itself when it's not even touched.

I checked my warranty status online on apple.com and it still says my device is under warranty, so I'm guessing the tech didn't void it? I got an appointment at a different apple store tomorrow to try and see if they can just replace my phone since the screen isn't broken.

I was wondering- do these techs keep notes of every single appointment made, and if they do, is it only at that apple store or do they make it global? I can see my repair history on apple.com but it only shows the times when my phone was replaced.

Hopefully I can get a replacement. If the genius tells me my warranty is void because of a broken screen, he can clearly see the screen isn't broken right? Do you guys think I'll have any luck with this? Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pureflamez View Post
    I dropped my 3G-S two weeks ago, broke the screen.
    I went to an Apple store hoping the genius would feel sorry for me and replace it, but he ended up trying to charge me $199 and told me they don't replace them (even though I've had friends who've gotten theirs replaced free of charge).

So I got on ebay and bought a new screen and replaced it myself. The phone is 100% fully functional now. The only problem now is that when I opened it, I guess I must have messed with something and the silence switch on the side of the phone is extremely sensitive and sometimes it goes off silent by itself when it's not even touched.

I checked my warranty status online on apple.com and it still says my device is under warranty, so I'm guessing the tech didn't void it? I got an appointment at a different apple store tomorrow to try and see if they can just replace my phone since the screen isn't broken.

I was wondering- do these techs keep notes of every single appointment made, and if they do, is it only at that apple store or do they make it global? I can see my repair history on apple.com but it only shows the times when my phone was replaced.

Hopefully I can get a replacement. If the genius tells me my warranty is void because of a broken screen, he can clearly see the screen isn't broken right? Do you guys think I'll have any luck with this? Thanks!
    While I dont work with apple or there warranty department I have gotten warranty work done on several cars over the years, I would think the only notes they keep are notes based on what has been done or any time they have provided a "case number'. So to answer your question I am going to say no there probably isnt a record of you talking about your screen with the water damage.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to icreepin For This Useful Post:

pureflamez (01-27-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Take it to the Apple store, as long as it is not extremely obvious that you have opened it (and there is no water damage) they should swap it out for you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IUiPodRepair For This Useful Post:

pureflamez (01-27-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Correct, there are no records actually kept in the computer. As long as the water damage indicators arent red and the "Do Not Remove" label on the mainboard isnt tampered with they should swap it out under warranty.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

pureflamez (01-27-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well, like I said, I DID take it to the apple store with a broken screen, except the genius told me that it would fall under "out of warranty repair" and wanted to charge me $199, I spoke with the manager and he told me there was nothing he could do either. I did buy a screen off ebay and replace it myself, took it to another apple store and the genius there replaced it free of charge.

Thanks everyone for you input!