Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Screen swap

Default Screen swap
    I have a 1st gen 8gig iphone I get the error code 23 which apple says I can get a replacement phone for the 199.00 price (which I am going to do) other then the damaged radio everything else works fine.

I let a friend borry a 2nd gen iphone of mine 8gig now for some reason the screen is very dull doesnt really show anything at all but other then that works fine.

My question. How hard and can I swap screens? So take the fully functional screen from my 1st gen (2g iphone)and put it on my 2nd gen (3g iphone) iphone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Not possible, they are different screens.

A replacement screen for the 3G can be had for about $30 off eBay though.

Have you tried turning up the brightness on the iPhone?
    Last edited by IUiPodRepair; 01-19-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

brightness on the screen is turned all the way up I think I will start looking for a complete screen on ebay or on craigslist.

Ok jusy got off the phone with apple they told me that the only diference between the different models was other then the obious 2g vs 3g was the proccers, storage space, ect. The screens the weight are all the same. So a 2g screen will fit on a 3g.

anyone have a link on changeing the screens?

No, the screen will not work in a 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by icreepin View Post
    Ok jusy got off the phone with apple they told me that the only diference between the different models was other then the obious 2g vs 3g was the proccers, storage space, ect. The screens the weight are all the same. So a 2g screen will fit on a 3g.

anyone have a link on changeing the screens?
    It will not fit, nor is it the same hardware. Take the two phones and put them face to face. You should be able to notice that the 1st gen is skinnier than the 3g. The LCD is also fused to the digitizer on the 1st gen whereas the 3G has the Digitizer attached to a mid-frame with adhesives, and the LCD is held in place by 6 screws to the mid frame.

These are two completely different phones, with different hardware, connections, dimensions, etc.

Your 3G needs a new LCD. Here is a guide I wrote on how to change it. It is very easy and inexpensive to do.
    How To Repair a Broken iPhone 3g LCD/
    How To Repair a iPhone 3G Digitizer
    Last edited by Melech518; 01-22-2010 at 07:00 PM.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME