+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Back swap

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I just bought a 3g silver 16gb back replacement kit for my phone. Here is the link: Apple iPhone 3G Fascia Shell Housing Cover 16GB Silver+toos . I have watched
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Back swap
    I just bought a 3g silver 16gb back replacement kit for my phone. Here is the link: Apple iPhone 3G Fascia Shell Housing Cover 16GB Silver+toos.
    I have watched all the videos on how to dis-assemble your phone, but they all seem to stop at the battery. I was wondering if there is a detailed video on what to do after you remove the battery.

Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i ordered from the same site. heres my 2 cents if u care to read

i basically just took the phone completely apart in steps. seperated all the screws and labeled them, then put the phone back together in the steps i took. (took me about an hr and a half)

everything in the package is almost useless besides the main back housing and simtray.. the screen is plastic, the plastic chrome bezel doesnt have the tab for the vibrate thing to screw on, and the lcd frame is also made of plastic which is all a waste.

the sim tray needs to be modified because the simcard doesnt fit right in when you buy it, u have to shave the tray down..

my biggest problem was getting the chrome bezel to fit flush with the back housing, i didnt think to check the first time i put it on, and it has haunted me since.. i recommend you find a really good metal adhesive for the bezel and glue it to the new housing with some pressure, and however long the adhesive takes to dry. (but dont forget to put the volume buttons in before the bezel or your screwed, you'll know what imt talking about when you take it apart.)

but after all of that, it looks very very nice and well worth the time
    i receive compliments all the time.

BTW im not the greatest at writing up tutorials so if you have any questions feel free to ask

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tonester1 For This Useful Post:

nmspeedswim17 (12-20-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Under the metal bezel next to the camera there is a small metal lip bit...just make sure thats under the cam,if you bought propper apple ipod pasrt then all will be simple!
    I have changed plenty of backs with no problems....as for the battery it does need a wee bit of force,use somthing wide and flat and work your way around the battery!
    Hope all goes well.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

well i ordered another back and when i put the inside downward towards a table, the top and bottom are not flush with the surface.. how exactly do you get the chrome bezel to stay flush with the case? special glue or technique? any input would be helpful because as of now im back to stock black cause of that issue with my other case

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    thanks for all your help guys

Thanks

Is there a video tutorial on how to just remove the back?!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

You need to disassemble the entire phone to remove the housing, literally. Once you have done it a few times it becomes second nature.
    1. Remove the 2 bottom screws of the iPhone and remove the display and set aside
    2. Remove the mainboard of the phone. There are 6 screws + 1 under the "do no remove" label
    3. Remove the screw and bracket holding the camera in place and the sim tray.
    4. Pop the camera up, and slide the mainboard out.
    5. Remove the dock connector. There are 2 screws in the bottom, and one at the top remaining.
    6. Remove the battery and vibrator
    7. Carefully remove the Power/Headphone flex which connects the Power button, headphone jack, vibrate switch, and volume controls.
    8. Remove the wifi cable, and black tab. Also remove the Camera housing, lens, and chrome ring.
    9. Remove the Bezel and Volume switch.

Now in that reverse order piece the phone back together. Never screw any screw too tight as this could rip a flex cable very easily. Also use some sort of epoxy to attach the Bezel to the Housing in each of the four corners of the housing. Make sure you put the volume switch in place first like another user mentioned.

Remember, practice makes perfect and always be patient.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    You need to disassemble the entire phone to remove the housing, literally. Once you have done it a few times it becomes second nature.
    1. Remove the 2 bottom screws of the iPhone and remove the display and set aside
    2. Remove the mainboard of the phone. There are 6 screws + 1 under the "do no remove" label
    3. Remove the screw and bracket holding the camera in place and the sim tray.
    4. Pop the camera up, and slide the mainboard out.
    5. Remove the dock connector. There are 2 screws in the bottom, and one at the top remaining.
    6. Remove the battery and vibrator
    7. Carefully remove the Power/Headphone flex which connects the Power button, headphone jack, vibrate switch, and volume controls.
    8. Remove the wifi cable, and black tab. Also remove the Camera housing, lens, and chrome ring.
    9. Remove the Bezel and Volume switch.

Now in that reverse order piece the phone back together. Never screw any screw too tight as this could rip a flex cable very easily. Also use some sort of epoxy to attach the Bezel to the Housing in each of the four corners of the housing. Make sure you put the volume switch in place first like another user mentioned.

Remember, practice makes perfect and always be patient.
    Yup and yup and lastly....yup.

Thanks

lol, I wrote that from the dinner table. I didnt think I left anything out, thanks for confirming

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Thats basically it....or at any rate, if you cant understand it from those instructions.....well, you dont need to be attempting it

Thanks

Agreed

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

But only used APPLE products! i found that fake ones are not really any good!
    made cheap and certain holes missing for screws!

Thanks

OEM or high copies are best. There are a few companies to buy nice aftermarket housings from.

My iPhone is a Part of Me ufcsean's Avatar
    Thanks

coool reaaaaaaaal cool