+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS battery dead by mid afternoon

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I usually charge at night by plugging the phone into the wall. I use an old iPod charger because my iPhone cable has broken. I have a jailbroken 3.1.2 OS
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3GS battery dead by mid afternoon
    I usually charge at night by plugging the phone into the wall. I use an old iPod charger because my iPhone cable has broken. I have a jailbroken 3.1.2 OS with Cydia and RockApp. I turn off Bluetooth when I'm not using it, I turn off WiFi when I'm not using it, I went into RockApp and figured out to turn off checking for updates. I stopped using MyWi because it was REALLY sucking the battery. I plug the phone in, now (which means it's getting some charge during the day). I still can't use the phone for more than half a day when most of the time it's on standby. I updated to 3.1.2 to see if it would help, but it didn't.

Is this because of the jailbreak? What should I do? I can barely use any app and I'm thinking of looking for a different phone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

just let batt run flat and fully charge it.. mine did this 2 days ago working as normal again now

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sadly I have tried that. I didn't really have a choice as the phone died. No luck on that front.

Apple is replacing the phone for me tomorrow. I'll have to make sure I unjailbreak it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

After you let it die you have to make sure you charge it fully for 12-24 hours. I "condition" my battery on the weekend every few months. Also getting the replacement phone right now is tricky. You have a chance of getting a refurbed week 42+, which means tethered jailbreak. How long have you had the phone?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've had it since July. What do you mean tethered jailbreak? I used blackra1n.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

If you take it in for battery issues they will give you a refurb iPhone. It may have the new iboot and each time you restart or it dies completly you have to hook it up to computer and rejail break every time. There are at least 3-5 posts a day of people yelling about it. Try what I suggested. Mine was acting up recently also. Let it die and charge it for a full cycle, I do 12-24 hours

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You should do a restore and setup as new phone. jailbreak install main programs. that's helped for alot of people. pdanet and mywi eat up battery even when its turned off. i would try that before returning it and possibly losing an untethered jailbreak