+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3g help after Screen Replacement

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Halloween of this year a kid bumped into me and I dropped my phone cracking the screen but still worked fine! I then decided to repair the screen myself. I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3g help after Screen Replacement
    Halloween of this year a kid bumped into me and I dropped my phone cracking the screen but still worked fine! I then decided to repair the screen myself. I followed a how-to guide in which I now realize was not a very popular guide. I disconnected the screen portion from base of phone. In order to "melt" the adhesive he said to place into microwave and that he had no problems. I knew it was a mistake before doing so, but tried anways. After a few seconds my microwave lit up obviously. I did not think anything about the ribbons behind the screen portion being metal and grounding out. The only noticeable ribbon I saw was the position sensor behind the ear phone. I ordered a new ear speaker and position sensor and replaced. My phone is back together.

Problems: phone does not vibrate, i can not hear anyone talking during calls nor phone does not make any sounds with volume turned up and home button does not work, phone does not charge either! Are there more ribbons other than position sensor on back of screen? Any advice? When headphones are in i can hear ipod. Thank you

Please do not bash on me for my mistake. I am here to learn. Thank you.

question:
    is there a ribbon behind the start button that would cause it not to work that could have been melted? the button itself is also pretty loose. advice? i am going to try and do searches on individual problems to diagnose later tonight after clinical rotation

phone does charge but does not do anything when connected to laptop
    Last edited by joshua.reed; 12-03-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

The guy who wrote that tutorial is an idiot.

And the problems you are listing could be caused by several things....alot of them dont have anything to do with the screen assembly at all so Im not sure what you did.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am not sure what I did either. I learn quick though. Would anyone be willing to help me trouble shot one thing at a time or give me any advice?

for example with the sound and vibrating problem. Where would the vibration sensor or what not be that would control the vibration?
    Last edited by joshua.reed; 12-03-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Any of these issues could be mainboard problems you wont be able to diagnose.

Or....

1. Vibrate motor uses contact to maiboard to work (although you shouldnt have messed with the mainboard at all for the screen.

2. Earpiece is either the speaker itself or cable #3 (which also controls the proximity sensor (screen turns off when held to ear during call)

3. charging issue and external speaker are part of the dock assembly (external speaker, microphone and charge connector), could also cause home button not to function as the home button connects to the dock assembly when the phone is closed.

4. Home button is either button flex cable or dock assembly. Also, there are tiny "prongs" on the back side of the screen assembly where the home button cable comes out...these are very easy to break off if you dont know what your doing, if they are broke the home button wont contact and wont work.

Now, you said you microwaved something (big mistake)....I hope it wasnt the entire phone because you probably damaged the mainboard and most likely it is not repairable.

At any rate, if you only microwaved the screen assembly itself...all the other issues your having are totally separate and without seeing the phone I would have no idea what you did.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

it was only the screen itself.

With the charging issue I find it odd it will charge if plugged into wall but not if plugged into computer. I am going to test again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

my brother had that charging issue as well, the computer would only detect it but couldnt identify it or connect to it

pretty sure it was a faulty dock connector, i never fixed it before my brother lost his phone

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Sad story but I just loled for 5 minutes at the OP. Again sorry...
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

master_va (01-14-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hello everyone! i replaced my iphone 3g cracked glass screen ... i did everything right.. i can turn it on, recieve texts... but the screen is not touchable!! i can't slide my finger across when it says" slide to unlock" any help plz?? what did i do wrong?? whats the issue??
    THANK YOU!!

Thanks

Either the cable to the digitizer isnt in place, #2, or the digitizer is bad. Try a hard reset by holding the home and power buttons simultaneously.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

master_va (01-14-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

took of all the cable, put them back on... did the hard reset thing and now im getting a white screen.. .. itunes does recognize it.. but i only see white screen!!

Thanks

You either dont have the LCD cable secure now, Cable #1, or you damaged the LCD.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

master_va (01-12-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    You either dont have the LCD cable secure now, Cable #1, or you damaged the LCD.
    ohhhh cable #1 is for LCD??? i thought thats for the ear piece..where u hear the other persons voice... the cable 1 doesn't go all the way in for me.. you know where there is a little white line on the head of the cable.. it doesn't go past that so when i clip the little black thing back on..it just comes out..
    i'll try to get it on somehow..
    i'll post back soon..
    *EDIT*
    sorry i got mixed up with the numbers there...yeah it makes sense.. cable 1 IS for LCD...
    when i try to get the cable 1 in... i hear a clicking noise..like its stuck in... but when i gently raise the screen it just pops right out.. i can't get it completely in.. arghhhh

also i dont think the LCD is damaged... nor is the Digitizer..
    cause when i have the whitescreen.. i can hear the clicking noise when i slide my finger across.... and i also get texts..
    the Digital screen was ok too cause before i could see the screen.. but the touch function wouldnt work...
    Last edited by master_va; 01-12-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

If the LCD wasnt damaged you would not see a white screen.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

master_va (01-13-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok... i took of the LCD screen.. but there is no physical damage visible...
    only some finger prints...??
    how could i have damaged it?? it was working before i took of the broken screen and after i replaced it with a new one..??

Thanks

The LCD is very very fragile! Just bending the cable on the LCD the wrong way or too much can damage the LCD. if the screen continues to be white, even after a hard reset, your LCD is trashed.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

master_va (01-14-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

thanks, im going to order a LCD screen off ebay...
    is 29.79 US$ reasonable price for it??
    btw here is the link for the LCD on ebay..iPhone 3G Replacement LCD Screen Display Repair + Tools on eBay.ca (item 250535745027 end time 22-Jan-10 06:32:06 EST)

Thanks

That'll work

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

master_va (01-13-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks again. i appreciate your help a lot!! and i like this Forum..gonna be using it alot..

Thanks

Glad to hear it stick around, there will always be someone to help you. Welcome to MMi by the way.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

master_va (01-14-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I dont know if this changes anything but..
    ok so i opened my iphne again.. holding the cable that connects the screen to the board in place with a finger and moving the front panel forward and backward and TADAAAA the screen came on.. i could see the front page where it says "slide to unlock" and it also said "iphone is activated" i managed to get in and check a couple messages and accidently moved the screen a bit and i lost it... BLACK screen...
    so i dont' think the LCD screen is damged but its the cable.... i tried bending the cable..( dumb i know) no help... and now the LCD does not evenc ome on.. not even white screen..LOL!!!
    i'll just wait for the LCD i ordered..but i want to know how to CORRECTlY and without damaging the cable put on the screen... i mean looking at the pictures on google the cable is flat at first... so i'm going to have to bend it a little.. but how??