+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Do all aftermarket replacement batteries suck?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So my original iPhone 3G battery was getting much less battery life than when i first got it (prob down to 60-75%). I went around online searching for replacement batteries.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Do all aftermarket replacement batteries suck?
    So my original iPhone 3G battery was getting much less battery life than when i first got it (prob down to 60-75%). I went around online searching for replacement batteries. My first "high-capacity battery (1600mAH vs 1150mAH stock)" arrived and I promptly put it in my phone.
    This was just abyssal, it drained probably 25% quicker than my old stock battery. It was a pretty cheap china-made battery so I thought I should go for something more expensive, I stopped at ifixit.com and picked up the original replacement battery. It arrived and same story, probably about 12 hours standby.
    I'm now back on my original battery and just ordered a Mophie Juicepack Air. I really don't want to use the juicepack since it'll be more cumbersome and would like to just find a good, long-lasting replacement internal battery. Is it that just all of these aftermarket batteries suck big time or am I not looking in the right places?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    same thing happened to me so i'm looking for a good answer to this as well. I'd really like to find a good 1600mah+ battery but the one i used drained so much faster

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Yes, for the most part. It is always best to buy OEM
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I would buy OEM if I knew where I could get them. I don't think going to the genius bar with a jailbroken, out of warranty, opened hundreds of times iPhone would really do me much help asking for a new battery.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ridingsupreme's Avatar
    Thanks

why not. ever gone to a store like that and talked to people who are actually chill and stuff? If they're young and cool and not some old school new tech guy with a beard chances are their phone is jailbroken as well! I went into an apple store and the guy I talked to made suggestions and taught me how to ssh!! lol!!!

find someone laidback at the store if you can and talk to them. otherwise, who the heck cares! you have an iphone, you paid for it, its a free country, its up to us what we do with our phones. if someone from mac or apple or whatever tried to give me crap about jailbreaking and stuff i'd tell him straight up to go to hell! lol

what difference does jb or not make for replacing a battery? if they don't wanna work on it in the store, see if u cant make friends with someone there and ask them if they wanna do it for cash at their house or something! or just buy a battery from him shoot.. lol life ain't that hard.

moral of that rant..rotglmao.. being friendly gets you places!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ridingsupreme For This Useful Post:

evilp8ntballer7 (12-12-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yeah i agree with the guy above me.

Its your iPhone, you can do what you want to it, its not like your trying to scam them into warranting your battery...

You bought their phone, you broke their phone, and you would like to purchase the part to make it work again... I don't see why they wouldn't sell you the battery alone...

But then again its Apple, if there were one company that wouldn't let you do it, it would be Apple...
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

http://www.tripari.com/06lina.jpg

that says OEM but i dont want to be quoted lol i have no proof of actually buying it, i just did a quick google search to try and help out.

and i also agree with ridingsupreme

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tonester1 For This Useful Post:

evilp8ntballer7 (12-12-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Apple DOES battery replacements guys. I can do them as well and have OEM batteries.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've worked on alot of iPods not an iPhone as of yet, but I've got quality high capacity batteries from ipodjuice.com. They only have a 1150MAh battery for the 3g though. Still only 20 bucks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ridingsupreme View Post
    why not. ever gone to a store like that and talked to people who are actually chill and stuff? If they're young and cool and not some old school new tech guy with a beard chances are their phone is jailbroken as well! I went into an apple store and the guy I talked to made suggestions and taught me how to ssh!! lol!!!

find someone laidback at the store if you can and talk to them. otherwise, who the heck cares! you have an iphone, you paid for it, its a free country, its up to us what we do with our phones. if someone from mac or apple or whatever tried to give me crap about jailbreaking and stuff i'd tell him straight up to go to hell! lol

what difference does jb or not make for replacing a battery? if they don't wanna work on it in the store, see if u cant make friends with someone there and ask them if they wanna do it for cash at their house or something! or just buy a battery from him shoot.. lol life ain't that hard.

moral of that rant..rotglmao.. being friendly gets you places!
    Good point, I'll pop into an Apple store sometime soon and see what goes down. Do you know how much apple charges for the batteries?