+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G screen black after screen disassembly but phone is responsive. Please help.

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi everyone I just registered and this looks like a great place to get help which I desperately need. I have an iPhone 3G and it had some dust under
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3G screen black after screen disassembly but phone is responsive. Please help.
    Hi everyone I just registered and this looks like a great place to get help which I desperately need. I have an iPhone 3G and it had some dust under the screen. Regrettably, I tried to disassemble it without any real knowledge (yes, I know that's not smart) anyway, I thought I had reconnected all the cables correctly but my number 3 cable I am having troubles reconnecting. I broke the black housing but there is still a white piece that flips up. I read that its for the mic and its the proximity sensor so right now I am leaving it alone so its not even connected because right now I'm just worried about the screen. The screen is black and is not turning on however, the phone does vibrate and make noise when I plug it in. I was even able to power it off and on earlier by holding the home and sleep buttons. I have been searching and I am SO unbelievably upset and frustrated. I couldn't find an answer anywhere so hopefully I can get some much needed help which would be so greatly appreciated. The dust really wasn't worth all this. And by the way the other 5 cables (there are six I believe) are connected. Thanks guys.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,264 Posts

Either the LCD isnt connected properly (#1) or you damaged the LCD.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmmm, well I hope number two is not the case. I've been messing with the cables mainly. I'm sure there are a number of ways to damage the LCD but I've been being careful and I can't say I've done anything to it to damage it. The 1 cable seems a little finicky. It doesn't stay in place as well and that's the cable I've been worrying has been possibly popping out of place when I snap the screen back down. The 1 cable has to do with the screen then? How can I make sure its staying and how can I tell if its the cable or if I did something? Thanks so much for the quick help too.

Thanks

Cable #1 is the LCD...plug it in, without pushing the screen back into place turn the phone on....that way you can hold the cable in place (if theres doubt its connected) and see if the screen comes on....

Otherwise, its pretty easy to damage the LCD....flexing it just a bit will damage it (which you probably did while removing it from the midframe. If the screen stays black, you need a new LCD.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well I did what you said and I must have damaged it because it didn't turn on when I held it in place. This is such a shame. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

One more question cpjr. Do I only need an LCD? Or do I need a digitizer and front panel also? Thanks.
    Last edited by khaos0721; 11-22-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

The LCD is a separate part from the glass/digitizer.

So, unless you damaged more than just the LCD, all you need is the LCD.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm so ignorant to this stuff, ha. I'm sure thankful for people like you. I'm just going to assume all I need is the LCD. Nothing is cracked. I found a place online that sells OEM 3G LCDs for $45 and it has the cables which I know I'll need so they can plug back in to where they go. My apologies for being so lost with this. Thanks again.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Have you tried a hard reset yet? Restore?

I would try those measures before spending $45 for a new LCD.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IUiPodRepair View Post
    Have you tried a hard reset yet? Restore?

I would try those measures before spending $45 for a new LCD.
    I think that its more hardware than software though. It doesn't hurt to try I guess. Thanks.

Thanks

I have repaired over 150 iPhone 3G/3GS LCDs and found that on about 20% of them the screen does not come on until a hard reset/restore.

On a related note, you should be able to find the LCD replacement for < $30.00 on eBay.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have repaired over 150 iPhone 3G/3GS LCDs and found that on about 20% of them the screen does not come on until a hard reset/restore.

On a related note, you should be able to find the LCD replacement for < $30.00 on eBay.
    I'll just cross my fingers and hope mine is in that 20%. I just need to update my iTunes 7 because the iPhone is recognized by Windows but not iTunes. Thanks for all the help guys.

Thanks

Have you tried a hard reset yet?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Have you tried a hard reset yet?
    Not yet. I'm not even sure how to but I'm going to read around here because I know the answer has to be around here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Just hold the home and power button simultaneously until you see the apple logo...

That is very rare actually. I worked for apple for a few years behind the scenes and now own an iPhone repair company and I have to tell you that any LCD installed properly should spring up instantaneously. Yes on rare occasions a hard reset is required, but most of the time this is not required. You mainly see a hard reset needed after installing an aftermarket LCD on and iPhone that was turned on during the repair. Some of these aftermarket LCDs require a hard reset to function properly.
    Last edited by Melech518; 11-23-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just had my screen off and it didn't turn back on until I did a hard reset..Less than 5 min ago.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default help please
    i had broken my lcd touch screen before but i was able to see my background picture but wasnt able to touch it and unlock it, so i i replaced it and it worked perfectly, now it broke once again and samething happened, but i thought that maybe one of the 3 connections got loosed or something so i took it apart and put it again, but now i cant even see my background anymore, but i can still hear the calls when i call myself from another phone, and i did the restore and everything, i dont know if i messed up the screan now too, or maybe its just the lcd touch screen, even though the only connection from the screan is good like i havent messed around with it, i think is the third strip, the little one on the bottem thats hard to get, any help, please thank you

i had broken my lcd touch screen before but i was able to see my background picture but wasnt able to touch it and unlock it, so i i replaced it and it worked perfectly, now it broke once again and samething happened, but i thought that maybe one of the 3 connections got loosed or something so i took it apart and put it again, but now i cant even see my background anymore, but i can still hear the calls when i call myself from another phone, and i did the restore and everything, i dont know if i messed up the screan now too, or maybe its just the lcd touch screen, even though the only connection from the screan is good like i havent messed around with it, i think is the third strip, the little one on the bottem thats hard to get, any help, please thank you
    Last edited by hplayerboy00; 12-18-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Ok, Let me explain the difference between the Digitizer and the LCD.
    LCD- Liquid Crystal Display- this is what makes the image
    Digitizer- Glass Panel with Touch Sensor fused together

These two components make up your display. If you aren't able to see any picture, then the LCD is damaged. If your touch is unresponsive, then the Digitizer is damaged.

Cable #1 is your LCD
    Cable #2 is your Digitizer
    Cable #3 is for your earpiece and proximity sensors

If your screen is not responding, it has nothing to do with Cable #3. Most likely your LCD is damaged.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Ok, Let me explain the difference between the Digitizer and the LCD.
    LCD- Liquid Crystal Display- this is what makes the image
    Digitizer- Glass Panel with Touch Sensor fused together

These two components make up your display. If you aren't able to see any picture, then the LCD is damaged. If your touch is unresponsive, then the Digitizer is damaged.

Cable #1 is your LCD
    Cable #2 is your Digitizer
    Cable #3 is for your earpiece and proximity sensors

If your screen is not responding, it has nothing to do with Cable #3. Most likely your LCD is damaged.
    I just changed my iphone 3g's battery and I'm now having problems with my iphone, it does not turn on.

When I keep my finger on the sleep/wake button, the Apple logo appears, stays there for a few seconds, and then it shuts down.

I've tried resetting the iPhone, the Apple logo appears and then same thing, the iPhone shuts down.

I'm trying to isolate the problem, do you think it would be a problem with the LCD?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The LCD had nothing to do with your problem. Try getting the phone into recovery mode and see if you can restore. If not we will investigate hardware issues

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    The LCD had nothing to do with your problem. Try getting the phone into recovery mode and see if you can restore. If not we will investigate hardware issues
    When my phone's hooked up on my PC with the USB cable, the screen always stays black, it just "flashes" for a second and stays black (by holding the sleep/wake button & home button at the same time for 30+ seconds)

However, when it's being charged normally, that's when the apple logo appears.

So I can't really go into recovery mode