+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No Service after replacing battery on iPhone 3G

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
After replacing the battery in my iPhone 3G, I am basically getting "No Service". I am able to get service and make calls only when I am VERY close to
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default No Service after replacing battery on iPhone 3G
    After replacing the battery in my iPhone 3G, I am basically getting "No Service". I am able to get service and make calls only when I am VERY close to a cell tower. Everything else works perfectly fine including Wifi.

All the cables are secure and I see no visible damage to any part of the logic board. From reading this board I learned that the antenna connection to the logic board is done by the copper "tooth" on the lower right side of the logic board. Is this correct?

Does anyone out there know how this piece is supposed to fit against the metal casing to securely enable the antenna connection for the phone? Should it go under the metal casing between the plastic and the metal or should it go in front of the metal casing? Any thoughts. Does it even matter?

I've tried various combinations but still am getting "No Service".
    Is my iPhone screwed?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Have you tried re-setting the logicboard in it's place. There is actually a connection to an antenna on the underside of the logicboard near the "Do Not Remove" sticker. See the picture below, in the yellow circle. If there is not adequate connection there, you will get limited service.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No Service after replacing battery on iPhone 3G-iphone.jpg  

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've reset the logic board a bunch of times but I could give it another shot making sure it is absolutely set in area you mentioned. Is there somethinig specific I should be looking for in that area? Do you know if that copper "tooth" has to do with reception as well.

Thanks

As far as I know, that copper tooth doesn't have anything to do with reception. I know in some of the phones I have repaired that the tooth has been in a different position and did not have any issues with reception.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. Made sure the logic board was properly seated but am still getting No Service. Anything else I should look for? Thanks again.

Thanks

Assuming all the cables and connections are secure, the only other suggestion I would have would be to do a hard reset or restore as a new iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just tried a reset. Still no service. Thanks for trying. Time for a new iPhone I guess.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There is a bit of detail here because I do not think your phone is bricked. I spent many hours trying to figure out the same problem

I just replaced my battery and I am getting no service. I "reset" board several times as well as cleaning all contacts. The circled part in your original post is the Wifi part of the antenna, so that is probably not a concern unless you are not getting wifi.

The phone part of the antenna -there are two microstrip antennas printed on the antenna film which is under the charging port - there are two small screws on either side of the charging port on the phone, looking at it face on, the left screw fastens the antenna and charging port to the metal bezel. The metal bezel is "grounded" to the main board somewhere in the nine screws that you removed to replace the battery.

My point is, we are both fundamentally missing an assembly step somewhere or it is a software issue.

I think it is software, I am up to date, so if there is anyone out there that can help us, please do.

PS: Before I did the last update, and before I replaced the battery, the WIFI setting was greyed out. Could this be related?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you can make calls near a tower, this means that phone mode still works, somewhere there inside your phone the circuit board needs to make contact with the antenna. Normaly this might be a metalic plate on the back cover or thin wire strip somewhere to the side... Don't purchase a new one yet... It's just something quite not right in the re-assembly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Did anyone come up with a solution? I'm having the same problem with my 3gs not picking up service unless i'm around a tower. i have replace battery, antenna, etc.... thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default WIFI Greyed and No Phone Service
    The only thing that I have found that describes all of our issues is the possibility that the programming on the WIFI chip needs to be "reset" with a program called SWIFI.

The instructions for this can be found at Wifi Fixer [iPhone Dev Team]

I am waiting to try because you need a MAC for it to run.

If you have any success, please post.

Thanks

Try another charger doc assembly with antenna attached. That should fix your problem.

Chances are the antenna part went bad during the repair. That's the good news since its an easy fix.

Bad news is its gonna run you about 30.00

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

or $9 if you know where to look
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    or $9 if you know where to look
    Please enlighten us Are you talking about the whole assembly or just the antenna?

Thanks

Whole assembly

I own an iPhone Repair shop. I buy direct...I pay wholesale!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

NO SERVICE – if all software method failed.. open you iphone 3g.. find the copper pin from logic board to the body on the lower part. I solder the pin to the body frame. Whola.. solve the problem. YES soldered the pin to body or make extension. make sure it attached perfectly to the body frame.

Quote Originally Posted by spinningjc View Post
    After replacing the battery in my iPhone 3G, I am basically getting "No Service". I am able to get service and make calls only when I am VERY close to a cell tower. Everything else works perfectly fine including Wifi.

All the cables are secure and I see no visible damage to any part of the logic board. From reading this board I learned that the antenna connection to the logic board is done by the copper "tooth" on the lower right side of the logic board. Is this correct?

Does anyone out there know how this piece is supposed to fit against the metal casing to securely enable the antenna connection for the phone? Should it go under the metal casing between the plastic and the metal or should it go in front of the metal casing? Any thoughts. Does it even matter?

I've tried various combinations but still am getting "No Service".
    Is my iPhone screwed?

NO SERVICE if all software method failed.. open you iphone 3g.. find the copper pin from logic board to the body on the lower part. I solder the pin to the body frame. Whola.. solve the problem
    Last edited by tokeybudu; 12-26-2009 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hey i used to have wifi when i hooked up to my computer. once it was unplugged the wifi would go away within my first couple steps? could this be a related issue?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anyone have any luck? I replaced my battery today and now have weak-to-no signal. Checked everything with a multitester, soldered a wire from the antenna post to the brass tab, hard reset...nothing.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi there,

I have absolutely same problem. When Im close to tower i have great 3G/2G signal, otherwise it will drop to no service or it will last for a 1-2 minutes.

I've also replaced my battery so its possible that i re-seted something in my iPhone 3G.

any clues for now?

thanks

Thanks

I would start with resetting the network settings. Next I would try calling your network and asking them to troubleshoot the issue by sending a signal to your device. After that I would get a new SIM card. If the problem persists I would consider the network and the areas in which you keep having the issue. There could be a dead spot or lack of signal in that area.