Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cracked Screen - Advice Please

Default Cracked Screen - Advice Please
    Ok last night i managed to completely crack my screen. The whole screen/front has cracks all over it. The phone however appears to be working absolutley ok, nake calls, receive calls, total functionality.

Now I bought the phone which is the 3g, last november and i live in spain.

I am quite happy to attempt to repair myself as i have less than no confidence in movistar sending it back to apple and it will probably take 4-6 weeks and quite possibly cost me a couple of hundred euros.

So my questions are:

Anybody here have first hand experience of replacing the front screen? (yes ive watched a couple of the tutorials)

If the phone is working fine, then surely i need only buy the front screen and NOT the digitizer.

Any advice would be great thank you.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Ive replaced quite a few.

The glass and digitizer are 1 part. You CANT replace the glass without the digitizer. BUT, the glass/digitizer part can be bought on ebay for around $20. You also need special adhesive which the part usually comes with.

If your tech savvy its not too hard to replace.

Where have you seen the glass/digitizer part on ebay for $20??
    The least i have seen it for is like $40??

Ok, thanks guys. When you say the digitizer you effectively mean the front part with glass and the connection, no? i think what i was trying to say, is that because all of the phones functions appear to be ok, i just need the front part and nothing else, being the glass/digitizer...as i said earlier i live in spain and movistar who have the licence to sell apple are useles with support...i went in there this morning and it will cost me 21 euros about 20$ just to send the phone back to apple for the repair quote, they dont know how much or anything...i bought the phone only 10 months ago or so, so my years warranty is up soon...im not too bad on DIY and ive watched a couple of the tutorials, it doesnt look too difficult and by the time of sent the phone back to apple, paid 21 euros and then probably get told that the repair will be another 100 or so, its pathetic and i might aswell buy the parts and DIY...

Actually, you CAN replace just the front glass panel in the iPhone 2g if your LCD and digitizer are OK. The glass is glued to digitizer with silicone type substance and using for ex. sharp knife, you can carefully remove the shards of glass piece by piece (I recommend using safety goggles). When the glass is fully removed, remove the rest of the glue with acetone or other solvent and insert new glass with double sided tape or glue to the phone.

This operation takes quite long time, but it's cheaper and and saves you the trouble of opening the phone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thienol View Post
    Actually, you CAN replace just the front glass panel in the iPhone 2g if your LCD and digitizer are OK. The glass is glued to digitizer with silicone type substance and using for ex. sharp knife, you can carefully remove the shards of glass piece by piece (I recommend using safety goggles). When the glass is fully removed, remove the rest of the glue with acetone or other solvent and insert new glass with double sided tape or glue to the phone.

This operation takes quite long time, but it's cheaper and and saves you the trouble of opening the phone.
    There is a 99.9% chance you will break the digitizer or LCD attempting to do this....it usually only works if the glass is already very shattered. But its usually a fail.

However it doesnt matter because we are talking about a 3g NOT a 2g anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by c.e.p View Post
    Where have you seen the glass/digitizer part on ebay for $20??
    The least i have seen it for is like $40??
    Ive bought several from this guy.....$17.49 and ships from NY.

IPHONE 3G LCD DIGITIZER GLASS TOUCH SCREEN REPLACEMENT - eBay (item 370258729014 end time Oct-10-09 20:28:08 PDT)
    Last edited by cpjr; 10-10-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I've replaced a 3G cracked screen as well. Imo, it takes alot of patience and precision to do it correctly w/o damaging anything else like the LCD or the plastic frame that the glass attaches to. I knicked my LCD during the process and had to replace it too. FYI - the easiest way to replace your screen by yourself is to buy the full screen assembly which is the glass, digitizer, frame and the LCD all in one. Goes for about $85 (Hong Kong shipper)on Ebay.

cheers for the link cpjr...how does he sell them so cheap?
    already bought one!

Thanks

^Bulk I guess....he's sold a ton of em. Ive ordered 10 or so.

Is 3G Glass Digitizer same as 3GS? They really look identical i was wondering if the 3G Glass will work with 3GS and Vice Versa?