+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Replacing housing and battery on 3G

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys, I'm thinking of replacing the back of the housing on an iPhone 3G. I've seen plenty of colored glossy replacements but I'm looking for one that's completely clear
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Lightbulb Replacing housing and battery on 3G
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of replacing the back of the housing on an iPhone 3G. I've seen plenty of colored glossy replacements but I'm looking for one that's completely clear and transparent. Sort of like those transparent housings for PSP and the old Gameboy Advances (like the purple and pink ones). I'm looking for one that's either smokey clear or completely clear so you can see all the junk and delicacies inside of the iPhone when you look at the back. Anyone know where I can find one? I've looked all over Google and have only been able to find colored backs.

Question #2.. Since the iPhone was previously owned, I was wondering.. If I were to buy a new battery to replace it, would I be able to use a 3GS battery? Would it be compatible and would it have longer battery life?

Please reply soon, thanks in advance!

Thanks

No replies?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

i have never seen a see through back even though i think it would be a great idea. And i am not to sure about the battery question but i believe it would ok to use a 3gs battery with your 3g
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

itzbilly (10-06-2009)

Thanks

Thanks for the input, westerman. Any definite answers though? And does anyone know if I would be able to put in the camera from the 3GS or a better one at that?

Also.. does anyone know what kind of hard drive I have to use to replace the one in the iPhone 3G?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

No housings like that. And I actually dont think it would look very cool if you've ever seen the insides of the iphone.

The battery would work fine, however you can get upgraded batteries anyways.

The camera would not work as the connector is different you wouldnt even be able to plug it into the board.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

itzbilly (10-06-2009)

Thanks

Where could I find these upgraded batteries? And what would be the best kind of battery I could get? Like, having the best battery life?

As in, enough battery life for push email throughout the day.. on EDGE? Along with an hour or two of app usage?

Thanks

eBay sells upgraded batteries. They have higher mAH power levels vs the stock ones. Stock 3G battery is something like 1150mAH

Thanks

Is there a limit to how many mAH I can get?

The only thing it would affect is the amount of time it takes to charge and the amount of time the phone would last, right?

Also.. as long as it is a li-ion battery, it'll work? Or would I have to search specifically for "iphone battery" on eBay?

Thanks

Obviously you will need an iphone battery. All batteries arent the same. And the limit is whats out.

Just a suggestion, but if your that unsure about the battery....I wouldnt suggest taking the phone apart yourself. Its not hard to break something.

Thanks

Oh ic. because when I saw a picture of the iphone battery, it looked strikingly similar to a motorola battery I've seen before haha

Thanks

Well its square and thin, probably similar to other cell batteries in shape.

But the connector on it is specific.

Thanks

Various batteries that I've seen on eBay come with a very short flex cable of sorts.. from the tutorial videos I've seen, there is no flex cable to remove from the battery, just tape. What does this "cable" do?

Ex of "cable":
    New Replacement Battery for Apple iPhone 3G 1600 mAh - eBay (item 280402137741 end time Oct-26-09 02:56:28 PDT)

Video I've been studying:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU3s49BgyRE]YouTube - Take Apart The iPhone 3G Step by Step Directions by DirectFix.com[/ame]