Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [iPhone 2G] Solder microphone without taking the whole flex cable out?

Default [iPhone 2G] Solder microphone without taking the whole flex cable out?
    I bought a used iPhone 2G, relatively cheap, because it didn't have a working mic (apparently damaged by an LCD replacement).

So I set out and bought a mic on eBay, and what I got a week later was tools, and a very small piece. I looked on the internet, and found out the mic is soldered on the flex cable. I was looking at the thread on replacing flex cables, and it looks scary!

Is there any way of soldering in a new mic, without taking the whole flex cable?

Pics or instructions would be great!

thanks...

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Nope not really.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

juanluis_cl (09-14-2009)

It's actually quite simple to replace the mic, but im not sure you purchased the right product if the damage was made during someone else repairing the phone i dont think the microphone itself is the problem but more likely the flex to the mic, dock cable, or possible the main-board. I am experiencing the same problem and i replaced my mic+flex cable so my next attempt is to replace the dock flex.

But to take out the microphone you have to pretty much follow all instructions on tearing down an iphone all the way up until you pull out the main board then pull out the dock and if you look down the mic is bottom right of the dock flex

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezy1 View Post
    It's actually quite simple to replace the mic, but im not sure you purchased the right product if the damage was made during someone else repairing the phone i dont think the microphone itself is the problem but more likely the flex to the mic, dock cable, or possible the main-board. I am experiencing the same problem and i replaced my mic+flex cable so my next attempt is to replace the dock flex.

But to take out the microphone you have to pretty much follow all instructions on tearing down an iphone all the way up until you pull out the main board then pull out the dock and if you look down the mic is bottom right of the dock flex
    Your talking about a 3G iphone....

He has a 2G iphone, COMPLETELY different.

Ha my bad i get 1g 2g 3g confused my gf has a ipod touch 2g, i was also going to add... simple way of replacing mic... carefully cut metal/plastic and solder in, add glue to cover hole. thats the easy way.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Nope not really.
    OK, thanks! If the mic is already there, should I pull it out to solder the other one, or what?