Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mod a camera into ipod touch 3g??

Question Mod a camera into ipod touch 3g??
    iFixit says that there is an empty space in the ipod touch 3g has an empty space exactly where a camera could fit, does this mean its possible to mod a [ipod nano] camera/video camera into this empty space? Couldnt it b possible to open up the ipod touch, cut a hole in the spot and place a camera into the position esily under $50 then just like ssh the camera app onto the ipod touch or sum? Ive searched everywhere for somewhere that makes such a thing but found nothing. Would either the 3g or the 3gs's camera fit in this spot? If anyone has an information as to whether this is posdible or where u can find something like this or even if you can open up a nano or iphone take out the camera and put it it in the ipod touch 3gen (desperate approach). Or maybe some1 is selling the iphones cam 4 parts? Please help me... I want an ipod touch 3 gen but only if i can get a camera on it!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

You would never get it to work with the logic board and you would never get the frameworks to work either.

You could maybe do the hardware aspect but very doubtful on the software unless apple already set that up in the software for 3.1 and there is just a minor modification need to have it show up, but i doubt it.I think that all you have is a space and you need a lot more to make a camera work...apple coudn't even get the camera working on the ipod touch very well that is why they left it out.

If you were very very very experienced as in the best...it could be plausible

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Yeah unless the logicboard already has the port....than obviously no. And like Stealth said, the software would be an issue also.

Yeah... Kinda figured itd b a lot more difficult than i thought. Just still pisses me off thou cause other than the extra ram the camera was really the only reason i wanted the ipod touch 3rd gen. But do you think apple will actually fix the camera for it and make one within the next 3 months or do u think itll be 6 months.... Or a year..... Or never. But is there a way to turn an ipod touch into a fone (without a camera *sigh*)... But like not using skype... Like using the 3g from another at&t fone... Or would something like that involve illegal hacking (WHICH I DO WANT).
    Also is there a way to replace the back of the ipod touch with a diff color... Preferably not metal (for less than $100 like colorwarepc.com and Knight Creations | Gigapascal [which both look pretty insane! And u should check those sites out cause they are really cool but charge like $100 for ipod touch and and signifcantly more for iphone])

Thanks

Apple only updates their products once a year......so if they ever place a camera on the touch....it wont be till next year.

No you cant turn a touch into a phone, there is no commboard. Buy an iphone.

Different color housings, click my sig links.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Apple only updates their products once a year......so if they ever place a camera on the touch....it wont be till next year.

No you cant turn a touch into a phone, there is no commboard. Buy an iphone.

Different color housings, click my sig links.
    Well they will place it in there next year unless they scrap the touch next year, i suppose if they arnt getting a large amount of buys since people are very satisfied with 2gens they could release ones with a camera in 3 months, they have all the cameras and the space to do it, if they can work out the bugs i dont see why not break a stupid 1 year rule. They would have to take back old ones probably or maybe charge $50 to switch your older 3rd gen out for one with a camera.

Will it happen? almost positively no. is it possible for apple? yes

Thanks

^I dont really even call it possible. Has Apple ever broken their little 1 year update rule? No. And I seriously doubt they are going to make an exception over the touch having a camera. Sales are still climbing, there still making plenty of money.

If they intended the touch to have a camera this go around, it would have been there. I mean, they added one to the nano, I (IMO) think they could have managed getting in the touch if they wanted.

Thanks

The only time I can think of is when they added the 2g 16gb

Thanks

^Yeah that was kinda weird, not really an update but more like an addition too. I think cause they realized how big of a failure the 4gigger was gonna be

Thanks

I wish they would do 6-month additions

Thanks

I dunno, I feel bad enough every year when I "have to" update so doing so every six months.....whoo, dunno bout that

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    ^Yeah that was kinda weird, not really an update but more like an addition too. I think cause they realized how big of a failure the 4gigger was gonna be
    oops

Stealth i really dont think they will be limiting themselves to the 1 year plan in the future although it could hurt sales to udate too often. The camera is just a small addition that should have been put in before, they could do it.

Thanks

Its never bothered me. I always get my money back plus some when I sale my old one

Thanks

I think the camera would be a rather big addition to the touch....since there are sooo many people mad over it not being there.

If they come out with it say 3 or 6 months from now.....then they have to listen to all the people who have bought the updated touch w/o camera bitchen they didnt get a camera

So whats the lesser of 2 evils.....

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Its never bothered me. I always get my money back plus some when I sale my old one
    This is true, good point

I haven't "lost" any money on an iphone yet
    Last edited by cpjr; 09-12-2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Oh I agree, they won't do it until next year. Like you know they could have fit the 64 gb chip in the 3GS, but why do it? They could save the cash and release it next year

Thanks

Its marketing just like ANYTHING else.

If they came out with the absolute possible best the first time.......sales would eventually stop. You have to keep the wolves just hungry enough to stay interested. Something new every year means new sales every year.

Thanks

Yep, so true

ya i've made a couple bucks over the years buying and selling ipods and iphones.

*back on the main subject* I'm starting to think all the hardware is there i mean why would they change the logic board and stuff when they decided not to put the camera in yet.

Modding the nano camera is the main part im sketchy about im not so sure that will work. But if you had the camera that was suppose to go in it.....there could be some possibilities

Thanks

First off, the whole "touch is gonna have a camera" was just a rumor....it was never confirmed by Apple.

And the break downs that ive seen from the new touch said/showed nothing about having a camera port.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast