Results 1 to 8 of 8

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPhone Stuck in Headphone Mode (I Searched)

  1. #1
    Exclamation iPhone Stuck in Headphone Mode (I Searched)
    Hey guys I've had this iphone 3g 8GB for about 5 months now and it just happened maybe like 3 months ago. I have done all the following.

    1. Plug/Unplug a set of headphones a million times
    2. Restored the iPhone to 3.0 but i created a new iphone profile i did not use restore my old settings
    3. Blow Compressor air into the headphone jack
    4. Than i finally changed out the whole headphone/headjack assemble. All of these attempt's and it still goes into headphone mode.

    The only one that actually worked for like 30 seconds was the compressed air.

    So can someone please help me out on this. My final assumption is that the motherboard is messed up somehow.

    Thanks alot.

  2. #2
    iPhoneaholic sursture's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    US - the land of the fat
    Posts
    366
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 98 Times in 88 Posts

    The problem is caused by a faulty headset connector (leaves normal speaker/mic disconnected even after headset is unplugged).
    It is a mechanical problem.
    As the phone is under a year it should be under warrenty - just restore the phone (so the "geniuses" don't complain) and get a replacement.

    The alternatives are: buy a replacement connector and fix the problem yourself or get use to it.
    Do hope that helps



    _________________________________________________

    **uoʇʇnq sʞuɐɥʇ ǝɥʇ ʇıɥ puɐ puıʞ ǝq noʎ pǝdןǝɥ sɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos ɟı**
    _________________________________________________




  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by sursture View Post
    The problem is caused by a faulty headset connector (leaves normal speaker/mic disconnected even after headset is unplugged).
    It is a mechanical problem.
    As the phone is under a year it should be under warrenty - just restore the phone (so the "geniuses" don't complain) and get a replacement.

    The alternatives are: buy a replacement connector and fix the problem yourself or get use to it.
    I bought the phone used. so warranty is out of the question. But I replaced a whole new headphone jack flex cable and it still does not work.

  4. #4
    Have you got it fixed yet?

    I've had this issue with a 2G and I replaced the whole headphone jack and flex cables and sleep button. What a pain that is with those small screws...

    Anyway that fixed it for me, but sometimes I will get problems with it being stuck in headphone mode. So if you've tried plugging headphones in and out a lot and cleaning it...

    First try to clean it once more with a Q-Tip with a little window cleaner on it, but be careful not to get it soaked with it. To do so just cut most the Q-Tip "fuzz" off, leave a little on so it fits, than put a little cleaner on. There's a video on YouTube, but do at YOUR own risk.

    And finally if that doesn't help, I read this method a while ago. I can't remember the exact order but its worked for me before:

    1. Plug headphones in and play a song in the iPod
    2. While song is playing and headphones in, turn off phone.
    3. Unplug headphones
    4. Turn on

    It sounds weird but it has worked for me and others before...

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Koinonia For This Useful Post:

    Error71 (09-14-2009)

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Koinonia View Post
    Have you got it fixed yet?

    I've had this issue with a 2G and I replaced the whole headphone jack and flex cables and sleep button. What a pain that is with those small screws...

    Anyway that fixed it for me, but sometimes I will get problems with it being stuck in headphone mode. So if you've tried plugging headphones in and out a lot and cleaning it...

    First try to clean it once more with a Q-Tip with a little window cleaner on it, but be careful not to get it soaked with it. To do so just cut most the Q-Tip "fuzz" off, leave a little on so it fits, than put a little cleaner on. There's a video on YouTube, but do at YOUR own risk.

    And finally if that doesn't help, I read this method a while ago. I can't remember the exact order but its worked for me before:

    1. Plug headphones in and play a song in the iPod
    2. While song is playing and headphones in, turn off phone.
    3. Unplug headphones
    4. Turn on

    It sounds weird but it has worked for me and others before...
    Yep, i second that. the cleaning method did work for me but only for a month or so. eventually I had to replace the entire flex cable, headphone assembly.

    If I Helped. Please Hit Thanks!

  7. #6
    iPhone? More like MyPhone flix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    114
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts

    Even if you change the flex assembly, you might get some weird results if you happen to buy from the far east.

    If you play a little Spot the Difference! then you'll see what I'm talking about:

    An original, good cable:



    A bad cable:




    As you can see, the original headphone connector has a copper contact at the end, which is the plug-in sensor. The connectors mounted in the product I once purchased is a different type and it's missing that sensor. Without it, the phone doesn't ring, doesn't make sounds, etc. because it thinks that headphones are connected. If you connect headphones, the phone thinks you actually pulled out the headphones and then it rings and acts normal. It should be exactly the other way around. So basically it's unusable.

    Talk about quality control...

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to flix For This Useful Post:

    m0nkey (09-15-2009)

  9. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by flix View Post
    Even if you change the flex assembly, you might get some weird results if you happen to buy from the far east.

    If you play a little Spot the Difference! then you'll see what I'm talking about:

    An original, good cable:



    A bad cable:




    As you can see, the original headphone connector has a copper contact at the end, which is the plug-in sensor. The connectors mounted in the product I once purchased is a different type and it's missing that sensor. Without it, the phone doesn't ring, doesn't make sounds, etc. because it thinks that headphones are connected. If you connect headphones, the phone thinks you actually pulled out the headphones and then it rings and acts normal. It should be exactly the other way around. So basically it's unusable.

    Talk about quality control...
    Can you post the link of the ebay seller or the website that you bought the correct cable from?

    Thanks alot

  10. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone flix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    114
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts

    I'm not saying that most of the cables are bad, in fact, it's safe to assume that most are good. What I posted above is an example of gross negligence and complete lack of quality control. The connector in my pics is not a defective product; it's "just" the wrong part being used by the cable assembling facility.

    Before you spend any money, I suggest you make sure that your problem really comes from the flex cable. Check yours; does it look like any of the two pictures?

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •