Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone fall, on/off button seriously injured

Default iPhone fall, on/off button seriously injured
    My first gen iPhone fell out of my pocket today and most likely fell on the on/off (or power) button in the right top corner of the iPhone. Since then, the iPhone randomly reboots itself, often doing it many times in a row. I can see (and mostly feel) that the on/off button is more flushed to the metal top of the iPhone than before, which makes me think that this is a mechanical problem. The on/off button has been pushed by the impact with the floor inside the machine, and for some reason now it makes a contact like it needs to reboot.

Any help? The iPhone is pretty useless as it is functioning now.
    iPhone 2G Pwned 3.1.2
    MBP OSX 10.6.3

I would take it to get it fixed. You will probably need a new case and have to have the internal pieces reset to their proper position.

I doubt you'll need a new power button but in the end you'll have a shiny new silver iphone with no scratches dents or dings!

Thanks

Sorry
    Sounds like some hardware damage. Apple's not going to fix it.
    Send it in to a 3rd party repair shop or somebody on these forums that does repairs.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

the behavior of the iphone is actually weirder than i previously described. so, as i said it starts rebooting but in fact almost never finish rebooting, it starts all over again after few seconds. however, i plug it into power, it seems fine! initially i thought it was the upright position of the phone in the dock, but then i put the iphone upright without power and it started rebooting, aborting, rebooting again. i am now giving it power with the usb cable without the dock, with the iphone in horizontal position, and it's fine. so, when it gets power it does not do it.
    has anyone seen this? what is it? i am not so sure it's a mechanical problem anymore.
    iPhone 2G Pwned 3.1.2
    MBP OSX 10.6.3

Imagine your old Nintendo system with the two buttons on the front....what would happen if you kept rapidly flicking the power switch?

That's what's going on when your button's stuck in this position...its literally laying on the power switch and I bet if you hold the phone and sneeze it'll reboot lol

Get her opened up and the power button assembly reset to the proper position and your problems will go away

I had the same problem with my 2g . I took it apart and bent the cace slightly and messed with the button and got it to stop rebooting, but it stopped working three days later. So I sent it to a company called irescue and they said the main board was faulty. I took it to the apple store and the tech was nice enough to replace it since it was still under wArranty.

I would disconect the baterey and find a new case with the buttons already installed and just swap it out. I think you can get them
    on eBay .
    Last edited by STEVIELOLO; 09-02-2009 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

thanks for all your feedback. tiguy99 was right
    iPhone 2G Pwned 3.1.2
    MBP OSX 10.6.3