+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2G no longer charging or connecting

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
When I plug it into the computer I get a USB Over Current notice. Tried on different mac and different cable, same thing happening. When I plug it in the
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default 2G no longer charging or connecting
    When I plug it into the computer I get a USB Over Current notice. Tried on different mac and different cable, same thing happening. When I plug it in the wall nothing. Restarted and did hard reboot, no help.

Sounds like the charging port is screwed. Right?

My iPhone is a Part of Me ddonuts4's Avatar
    Thanks

Dunno maybe you should take it to apple and ask them. If it's under warranty, they'll fix it.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    yeah, that's the issue, Apple Care expired in July for it and its jb. I know apple would be like, "for $99 you can get a new phone and sign up for Att." Blahh

I'm doing an erase and restore before the battery goes dead.

Thanks

That sucks. Make sure it's a full restore or u might still have the same problem again( click set up as new phone instead of restore from backup)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I erased all data and settings. Now the phone wont even turn on. The pineapple appears and that's it. Same after a hard reset. No response when i plug the usb or still nothing with charger.
    Looks like this iphone is dead.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm having the same problem, bweb. It's been doing it for the past month or so (vista 64 box)... it will charge fine when plugged into a wall, but on my computer it will just hang (the computer knows when it's plugged in... you can hear the USB noise/notification, it's just not seeing or charging it). I have a strange feeling that it may be the side effect of something I installed from cydia, but have no idea what it might be. I just picked up a 3GS so it's not a huge deal if it doesn't work anymore, although I was hoping to sell it ... it sucks that I cant sync my latest contacts and stuff either.

I have some stuff downloading so I can't try it, but I'm fairly certain that I WAS able to sync it to my hackentosh install though (or I had a crazy dream). I'm praying that it's possible.

anyway, try it on a few different machines/installations and if worse comes to worse, you should be able to charge it @ the wall and just use it as a MID/ipod touch. Looking on google, it appears that we're not the only ones going through this. Good luck, I'll update you if I can figure something out.

ok, well I updated iTunes to the latest version, setup my new phone and then was going to jump into the osx install, but decided to try the 3G one more time and sure enough, works fine. Try it on a different computer or try reinstalling itunes
    Last edited by qwerty30; 08-27-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Do u have lib USB installed( it is used in some jailbreaking programs) look in add/remove programs for it. This messed mine up for some time. It didn't freeze up, though it just wouldn't sync

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bweb View Post
    I erased all data and settings. Now the phone wont even turn on. The pineapple appears and that's it. Same after a hard reset. No response when i plug the usb or still nothing with charger.
    Looks like this iphone is dead.

i had the same thing happen to me. i did this on my 2g as my friend was buying i from me.i erased and reinstalled itunes..tried different cords everything..my phone is bricked.

ok update!!!

ok i tried putting my iphone into recovery mode. the power button doesnt work on its own, so i held the power and home button in ,when the screen went black i unplugged my iphone from the comp.while holding in the home button i plugged it back in.the pineapple popped back up but still holding the home button the cartoon steve jobs came up and stayed there.i was able to get itunes to reconize there was a iphone in recovery mode. so my iphone is no longer bricked!!!.. you have to realize i couldnt get any comp to recognize my phone till i did this.the phone is now working and restored
    Last edited by wojo797; 08-30-2009 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i have the exact same problem except I can't get itune to notice the phone?