Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best way to do this?

Cool Best way to do this?
    Hey guys,

I've seen some awesome stuff on here and was hoping for some help. I'd really like to do a blacked out iphone 3G with a white rear housing. I've managed to source the housing (dead easy on ebay) and also a matte black bezel (also on ebay). I was wondering if anyone has any leads on where I could find a black volume rocker, hold button, and ringer switch. I figured that since the headphone jack is so tiny I could do it with a sharpie or something since it probably isn't worth the trouble of replacing it.

Any ideas, tips, or suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks

Thanks

Most housing kits come with the buttons and they're black plastic which will break before you know it. I presume you just ordered your stuff and are still waiting for it, am I right? If so, be very careful about the cheap (~$20), non-OEM housings because they usually don't fit perfectly and you may end up with a phone that looks like a hiPhone or worse.

Cool I wasn't aware that some of them shipped with black replacements, shame about the quality though. I can't really use it if it's that lousy. I did however check to make sure the seller's reviews were great and the housing with tools came out to around ~$45 CAD. Hopefully it isn't the cheap stuff. The black bezel was around $35 and I have no idea what to expect. I haven't heard of anyone on the forums using it (please correct me if I'm wrong here) so I hope it doesn't snap in half when I look at it. Any ideas where I could get a decent set of black switches though?

Thanks again.

Thanks

Judging by the prices you mentioned, you'll most likely get the good stuff so no need to worry. In this case though, you're also not likely to get your buttons. I suggest you carefully spray a few thin layers of black onto your original ones. I won't look as good as - say - anodized black finish but given their size and position nobody will notice.

Be careful when assembling and watch those online videos 10 times before you start :-)

Haha, I've watched those videos over and over and over. I even did a few test runs just in case I was tempted to rush when the time came to beautify the phone.

The painting idea had occured to me but I was afraid that it would wear off. I was wondering if you'd heard of VHT Nightshade? It's a plastic tinting product used on tail lights. However, since the buttons are chrome plated I don't think it would work would it?

Thanks

Such products will barely be noticeable. In fact, they're designed to be transparent to begin with.

If the black wears off, it wears off. No biggie. Beats a broken plastic switch, IMHO. Now, if you're OCD about it, hook them up to a battery and dip them into an anodizing cocktail for a while.

Or, if you want pitch-black that's virtually invisible, talk to these guys: Ultra-short laser pulses turn metals pitch black - tech - 22 November 2006 - New Scientist