Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Disabling Audio Jack through hard or software hack

Default Disabling Audio Jack through hard or software hack
    Hi there,

I just discovered this nice little corner of the net. Maybe someone here can put me in the right direction.

About two months after I got my 3G the phone got stuck in "headphone mode". Speaker doesn't work when playing music and I can only make calls via headset or enabling the speaker. I researched and diagnosed a clogged audio jack, but cleaning didn't work, restoring didn't work, pluging in and out a gazilion times didn't work. At this point I could have brought the darn thing to t-mobile for a replacement, but I didn't want to part for several weeks.
    So I ordered the flex-cable and replaced it, which was surprisingly easy. I've repaired notebooks and other cell-phones so this was not a completely new situation for me. After the repair everything was fine for about two weeks. Than the problem returned. At first temporarily, later with increasing frequency and now I'm back to square one.

The funny thing is I don't even need the audio jack. So now I'm looking for a way to disable the thing. I carefully disconnected the flex-cable from the jack but that didn't do the trick. Meaning, the jack is disconnected but the phone is still in headphone mode.

Anyone got another idea?

Thx in advance,

Michael
    Last edited by soundofsilence; 08-11-2009 at 05:00 PM.

So you are saying that the phone thinks there are headphones plugged in, but there's not even a headphone jack anymore?? It doesn't like the connector is messed up. I had this issue with my old 2G and I replaced the flex cable and it worked fine.

Also...you were going to go to T-Mobile for a replacement iPhone? I really hope you don't live in the US cause they would have probably lol'd at you.

I would airdust the connector, or maybe spray LIGHTLY with some electronic cleaner.

my iphone 3g is doing the same thing... what to do

Thanks for your answer,

Quote Originally Posted by IndianCheese View Post
    So you are saying that the phone thinks there are headphones plugged in, but there's not even a headphone jack anymore?? It doesn't like the connector is messed up. I had this issue with my old 2G and I replaced the flex cable and it worked fine.
    are you refering to this cable? http://s1.guide-images.ifixit.com/ig...yB1jXd11.large

Quote Originally Posted by IndianCheese View Post
    Also...you were going to go to T-Mobile for a replacement iPhone? I really hope you don't live in the US cause they would have probably lol'd at you.
    I live in germany and I meant that I could have gone to t-mobile before I opened the Phone up and replaced the audio-jack.

Thanks

actually, tmobile in the US would have been glad to have you as a customer but then they would not be able to help with the iphone hardware issue.

Sooo, I just replaced the headphone jack yet again. Afterwards the iPhone started just fine and the speakers worked...for about 15 seconds. Then it went back to headphone mode... I'm at a loss here. What to do?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

just a thought but maybe its a motherboard problem?