Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3gs crash!

iPhone? More like MyPhone chbearsrock's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation 3gs crash!
    Hey guys...today my sister's 3gs was in her scrubs pocket when it got really hot, and when she looked at it there was an error message (in video). It was never jailbroken/unlocked or anything, not in a case, and wasn't confined to any super tight space so I'm not sure why it overheated. It won't restore through itunes through any method I can think of, and it stays on the messed up screen until the battery drains completely. Earliest concierge appointment was for tomorrow night but if I can get this fixed at home it would be a lot better. Thanks for your help!

edit: apparently the video didn't upload...as soon as it processes on youtube i'll post the link[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmrLEmyfO9k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmrLEmyfO9k[/ame]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0016.jpg  
    Last edited by chbearsrock; 08-10-2009 at 05:47 PM.

Its toast. Apple will be giving you a new one.

PS- This is what an iphone looks like when it takes a crap.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr;

PS- This is what an iphone looks like when it takes a crap.
    Are you listening to me Neo, or are you looking at the woman in the red dress?

On a more serious note what kind of unstability would cause this? Is it a battery overheat issue, system overload based on specific settings (ie pushed data active while background apps are still running causing general processor overload?)

I'm quite tempted to upgrade to a 32gb 3Gs despite the PAYG price tag in the UK of 530, but I don't fancy it if I have to worry about having my kruglesack torched when my latest bit of Apple tech decides it's rag week.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

Its not from anything running (software).

Most likely (from what was described) it is nothing more than faulty hardware to begin with. Just like any other electronics, you get a bad "apple" (no pun intended) from time to time.

Ive seen all 3 models do this, but its few and far between. Ive had my 3GS since day 1 and no issues what so ever.

PS- Battery overheating wouldnt cause a system dump like that. And any normal user couldnt overload the processor to cause any serious issues anyways.

previously known as iPhoneman2K, iphoneman76 iPhoneMuscle's Avatar
    Thanks

Bummer... sorry to hear that. Apple will take care of you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphoneman123 View Post
    Bummer... sorry to hear that. Apple will take care of you.
    Yeah, its a bit annoying but at least with Apple you know you get taken care of. Although when I called to see if I could come in today (earliest appointment was tomorrow) I got quite a bit of attitude from the lady that picked up the phone ...disappointing since she a) didn't understand the importance of having a working phone or b) didn't care.

^That sux, and yeah it really sux not having ur phone, but....

From their eyes they get dozens of people a day asking to be seen immediately.

Apple is great about warranty stuff, really super.........the con to this is having to make an appointment.

K so my kruglesack is safe as long a I don't invest in a Bad Apple. Booking a back, sack and crack wax now just to be on the safe side ;-)
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    ^That sux, and yeah it really sux not having ur phone, but....

From their eyes they get dozens of people a day asking to be seen immediately.

Apple is great about warranty stuff, really super.........the con to this is having to make an appointment.
    I def. understand.

Update: Managed to get a concierge appointment today b/c of a last minute cancellation. Got to the store at 7:20, ran into the guy who sold me the phone and as soon as he saw me he came over to help. Comes back from the back room 3 minutes later explaining how the phone was jailbroken and that's why it broke, and it's the only explanation. I had to deny it about 200 times before he relented...it was kinda ridiculous . One look at our current usage shows that my sister has used 30 min, 100 texts and a smidgen of data...add the fact that she had 0 apps and no iTunes account and it's pretty obvious she's not exactly the jailbreak type.
    Anyways, they then proceeded to try restoring the phone, told me it didn't work (surprise) then finally offered an exchange. After all was said and done, I was out of the store by 9:10 or so. Lots of standing around waiting, but at least I got a functional iPhone...

By the way, I def. understand why the guy didn't believe me when I said I didn't jailbreak it...I'm sure everyone says that. It's just frustrating.

Thanks for the support!

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

By the way, I def. understand why the guy didn't believe me when I said I didn't jailbreak it...I'm sure everyone says that. It's just frustrating.
    Wow - I had the same type of thing happen with a iBook a couple years ago - something happened and I brought it to the Apple store, and the guy kept saying that it had something to do with the fact I had pirated music on the computer - despite the fact I didn't have any, or any P2P software, all the music had been ripped from CD's (no joke, i honestly didn't).
    However, he did replace the iBook after a good hour of waiting and explaining.