Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Opened up iPhone - screen is now dead

Unhappy Opened up iPhone - screen is now dead
    Hello,

For about a wee I've had spotty and inconsistent service, with the "Searching..." or "No Service" message constantly up. AT&T switched my SIM card to no avail, and the guys at the Apple Store did the same (and then blew out the device with canned air) which momentarily fixed it. The problem resumed when I was home, 50 miles away.

Since the Apple Store guy said I had water damage (the hell?) I decided to open this up and make sure the connections were fine. I ended up finding dust within the SIM card area and blew it off. My phone made a sound indicating that it had received a text message-- but now the screen doesn't work! I've secured connectors 1, 2, 3 and 4, but still nothing is happening. I can hear that the phone is "on", but nothing is on the screen. I'm waiting now for the battery to die so I can reconnect everything again and give it a shot again. Any tips?

There have been issues with the screen not working even though the phone is on. Try holding down the home button and the off button (top right) for a bit so the phone resets. That may help. I had to do it a few times. I was worried because I had JB a few days prior to that happening and was worried that I had voided the warranty which means they wouldn't touch it.

Thanks! That worked.

Now the screen works. But the phone cannot find a network still. Are there any hardware solutions to this? Could something be loose? Which connector?

Quote Originally Posted by brunonian View Post
    Thanks! That worked.

Now the screen works. But the phone cannot find a network still. Are there any hardware solutions to this? Could something be loose? Which connector?
    You may need a new "one of these"

iPhone 3G Replacement Internal Antenna Circuit: DirectFix: iPhone Service, iPhone Repair, Broken iPhone, iPhone Parts & iPhone LCD

Or have someone look at your antenna board to make sure its seated in there properly. It could respond to some proper adjustment or maybe its not hitting its contact on the logic board properly

I would start there. Was it always acting this way? Did you drop the phone recently?