Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dead iPhone?

Default Dead iPhone?
    Hi,

Yes I know it's the first post here, but any help is much appreciated!

The story..

I purchased an iPhone from someone local knowing it would not recognize in iTunes tbh, I thought it wouldn't be that bad!

Anyway, it's 16gb 3G. It turns on, loads and goes to the connect to itunes screen.. upon connecting.. nothing happens. It DOES charge once connected but doesn't sync. The iPhone is not recognized at all by the computer (tried on a few laptops, pc).. tried all the resets and going into DFU mode and still doesn't recognize it!

I am pretty sure it enters DFU mode as once I do it, I need to repeat the process to get out of it.

I'm pretty lost, is it just completely broke?

Cheers!

Are you connecting it with an original Apple cable? Do you have a cable that you know will synch an iphone with iTunes no problem to try? If it is booting to connect to iTunes then the board wants to run, so if your computers don't see the iphone it is either a usb cable issue or the flex from the mobo to the connector you plug the usb lead into on the phone is stuffed. I have a couple of really messed up 3g boards, but any computer still recognises them even if they won't restore - so if the one you have is not recognised there is a good chance it is a probem with the USB cable (easy fix) or flex cable fro, the mobo (harder fix).
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Robcoffee For This Useful Post:

Renshy (07-31-2009)

Thanks for the reply

I have 2 different cables, I also have an iPod which works fine with both cables so that eliminates that

Sounds like it's a problem with the iPhones hardware then?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,036 Times in 6,751 Posts

Are you certain your getting the phone in DFU mode, here are a couple methods that may help.
    DFU mode
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it detects iPhone in restore/recovery mode.

Alternative Method:
    Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connects and disconnects.
    Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
    Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

Renshy (07-31-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Are you certain your getting the phone in DFU mode, here are a couple methods that may help.
    DFU mode
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it detects iPhone in restore/recovery mode.

Alternative Method:
    Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connects and disconnects.
    Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
    Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button.
    Pretty sure it's working.. the first method doesn't recognize and the 2nd one, I can't listen for sounds as it doesn't recognize at all.

Thanks though