Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bad iPhone USB cable?- false full charge, no charge, depletes battery?

iPhone? More like MyPhone RaginAsian55's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Bad iPhone USB cable?- false full charge, no charge, depletes battery?
    I bought two usb cables from ebay for the iphone/ipod touch/ipod line. They were only a dollar for both. Anyway, they don't seem to charge my phone. I can use them to connect to iTunes just fine, but it'll only charge for 5-10 minutes and the stop displaying the charging icon on iTunes while showing the "charge full" symbol on the phone. The same thing happens when I attach either cable to a wall adapter (ones I know that work, and have worked for me before). Moreover, when I try to charge with these "bad" cables it even depletes my battery more! (%60-%50 after 5 minutes)

Any thoughts? Is there such a thing as a "bad cable"? I thought all cables were pretty much the same since the wiring is the same... Any suggestions on how to get a cheap ipod cable online and finding one that works?

All help is appreciated in advance! Thanks!

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

The cable isnt compatible with your phone. You have to be careful trying to buy "cheap crap" off ebay for charging, syncing, etc.....cause it can screw your phone up.

And the wiring isnt the same from first-gen iphones to 3g/3gs....the pin address's are different.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    The cable isnt compatible with your phone. You have to be careful trying to buy "cheap crap" off ebay for charging, syncing, etc.....cause it can screw your phone up.

And the wiring isnt the same from first-gen iphones to 3g/3gs....the pin address's are different.
    Can you elaborate on how the cable isn't compatible with my iphone? I also checked Apple's website and it said that all charging cables should be compatible with all the iphone models.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

They are full of crap. This has been a HUGE issue with people ever since the 3G came out because everybody's first-gen stuff didnt work.

See all the little pins inside that long connector that plugs into the phone? They match all the spots on the connector in the phone.....well, there is a different pattern to the first-gen and 3G/3GS dock connector (bottom of phone) so the cables also have to be different.

Bottom line...they arent the same and if the cable doesnt work, it isnt compatible.

PS- I would suggest a small possibility that you got a defective cable....but since you got 2 and both do the same I highly doubt they are both defective.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

RaginAsian55 (07-27-2009)

Thanks

Hm, well I'm gonna take one cable to the apple store and bs some story about how I kept the charger from a 2g ipod touch to use with my iphone and it won't charge- see if they give me a new one and it works.

I see what you mean by the pins- they are exactly the same in the ones that I have working and the ones I bought on ebay. At work, another girl had the same charging cable as the ones I bought on ebay and they have different pin arrangements...